- While Magill is open to many styles of music, something about choro immediately struck him. “When I was in West Africa, I'd be listening to polyrhythms and think, ‘What the…This year’s Arts Fest features visual artist, writer and photographer Clarissa Sligh; singer-songwriter and peace activist David LaMotte; and found materials artist and lecturer David Hess. The three-day event includes…Throughout April, Fakhoury's latest collection, Imageries of Life, will be on display at the Asheville Gallery of Art. An opening reception will be held Friday, April 7, 5-8 p.mWhen Attic Salt founders Marci Bernstein and Jeff Catanese moved their company to Asheville from New York, officially relaunched in 2013, The Nerd was hot on their radar. “We tried…The panel takes place at Malaprop's on Monday, April 10.Searra Jade plays The Mothlight on Thursday, April 6.Asheville Creative Arts performs The Little Red Riding Hood Show at The Magnetic Theatre April 7-9.Though their record won't be released until the fall, the duo will play some of their new tunes at Isis Music Hall on Thursday, April 6.
- Long overlooked as a source of nutrition, acorns are nutritious, plentiful and free for the taking.If you’ve ever worked in a restaurant, you know the drill. It’s the middle of the weekday lunch service, and the place is pretty busy. Just then, the bartender spots…Cheese is king at the third annual Carolina Mountain Cheese Fest. Also, A pop-up comes to Gan Shan Station, food trucks rally at the Asheville Masonic Temple, free samples are…Asheville Brewing Co. celebrates National Humor Month with screenings of comedy classics and new beers made in honor of the films. The new brews were named through a customer contest.
- Clinical pharmacy gained traction when the Asheville Project, an initiative that addressses chronic health problems in city employees, included pharmacists in medical teams. Now clinical pharmacists have a greater role…
- White Horse screens a documentary about the My Daddy Taught Me That program, Arnold Wengrow debuts his book on Santo Loquasto and more.
- Industry studies show consumers are growing tired of fast, disposable fashion. In addition to a greater awareness of where clothes come from and the impact of their production, a new…Having $1,000 in savings can help people ride out most financial emergencies, says Celeste Collins, executive director of OnTrack Financial Education. A pilot program run by the nonprofit helps people…Amid the continuing debate over school choice and whether North Carolina should even allow charter schools, people on both sides of the issue seem to agree that Buncombe County’s five…After the annual show of tulips at Biltmore fades, another floral exhibition bursts into bloom, this time with plants native to the Southeast. Biltmore's 15-acre Azalea Garden is the largest…Carolina Abortion Fund aims to rase $100,000 across the state through Bowl-A-Thon events in various towns. The Asheville iteration takes place at Sky Lanes on Sunday, April 9.
- "The initial inspiration for the book was observations made while driving along most of I-81 with my family many years ago and thinking that there was much to see along…'Please, I beg you, stop littering our roads with signs. What must visitors to our beautiful city think when they see all those ugly signs?'"Let your thoughts be known if you would rather our state resources be used to protect our precious water supply and promote clean energy instead of supporting destructive pipelines that…"Local groups are inviting our congressmen to open meetings: Our Revolution and Indivisible are sponsoring a “Medicare for All” Town Hall for Meadows’ 11th District constituents on the courthouse lawn…Asheville'Whether they’re pure battery electrics like the Nissan Leaf or plug-in hybrids like the Chevy Volt, [plug-in electric vehicles] offer WNC many benefits. But first we need to drain a…Asheville