- Fringe Digital Summer offers a virtual alternative. It returns via the Zoom conferencing platform on Wednesday, Aug. 19.David Joy’s latest novel, "When These Mountains Burn," offers an unflinching look at addiction, family ties and loss. The book will be published Tuesday, Aug. 18.The Asheville-based “Appalachian Horror Groove” band's members discuss their debut full-length album and coping without the live shows that are so crucial to their artistry and livelihood.The lead artists of the giant downtown mural discuss planning and implementing the inspirational work.
- Though my friends and family were taken aback when I suddenly — to them — decided to leave Nashville, they were delighted at my destination. “Asheville? I love Asheville!"“I never thought I’d be selling candy bars,” restaurateur Charlie Hodge admits with a laugh. Yet PayDays and KitKats are among the hundreds of sundries for sale in Hodge’s newest…Once a staple of the craft beer scene, reusable bottles currently aren't being accepted at numerous Asheville-area businesses.
- “We’ve got an epidemic within a pandemic,” says Kevin Mahoney with the Mountain Area Health Education Center. Social distancing, job losses and drug contamination associated with COVID-19 have all complicated…What could make living through a house fire worse? How about lost pets, a struggling business and a pandemic that canceled a family member's high school graduation ceremony? Melissa Meyer…
- Xpress reached out to four local racial justice organizers — all under 25 — to learn about their experiences and what has motivated them to act.In 1932, the Normal Business Council was created with a single mission in mind: to infuse $100,000 into the local Asheville economy.Roughly 10 small processors are available for all of North Carolina’s local livestock farmers. With higher overall demand due to COVID-19 and commodity beef producers leaning on the local supply…Roy Parvin is the author of two books of fiction and more recently a funny yoga book, Yoga for the Inflexible Male. In this short piece, he describes his recent…Christopher Hickman's period of supervised probation for the 2017 assault of Johnnie Rush might have ended this month if not for delays in the community engagement portion of his restorative…Al Whitesides, the sole Black member of the Buncombe County Board of Commissioners, and his three Democratic colleagues approved the resolution over the opposition of the board’s three Republicans. The…
- "Reasonable appropriations should go toward weed management.""With record unemployment, record lack of health insurance/health care and record lack of affordable housing, there are many, many people here in the USA who could have used those funds…"We as citizens expect and deserve better of our elected officials.""We must elect candidates who are committed to legislating robust, fair funding for public schools in a fast-changing and complex 21st century.""I wish people would follow the scientific evidence and wait until it is safe.""All of this debt to thousands of students could be avoided by heeding their own words and delaying the move into the campus until the pandemic is controlled."