- This year’s events, which take place Monday-Thursday, April 2-5, include writers of fiction, nonfiction and poetry, and culminates in an event with Pulitzer, Emmy and Obie (among others) award-winning playwright…Today, at age 85, Wheeler shows little sign of slowing down. Hotter Than a Pepper Sprout is a highly enjoyable chronicle, following a young boy in Boone County, W.V. through…“We like to look at the history and legacy of the college and connect that past work with contemporary practice,” says BMCM+AC executive director Jeff Arnal. Attendees can experience this…Asheville musician Patrick Fitzsimons brings his world-electronic project to Pillar on March 31.Iggy Ingler is partnering with Owly Cat Productions to stage his iteration of Hedwig and the Angry Inch (in which he plays the lead role) at The Grey Eagle, Friday-Sunday,…The Asheville-based surrealistic soul-jazz trio celebrates the release of its debut EP on March 30 at Isis Music Hall.The local writer reads from his second Channey Moran action/thriller on March 29 at Malaprop's.The traditional "throat singers" and instrumentalists visit UNC Asheville for a three-day residency, March 27-29.The benefit concert for the Lloyd Johnson Foundation takes place March 29 at Isis Music Hall.A meth-addicted couple have taken their sick baby to the hospital where Child Protective Services take custody of the endangered child. This sparks a spiral of conflicts that propels the…
- Despite tight budgets and bureaucratic hurdles, school nutrition directors are accessing more locally grown foods for area students.The newest brewery on Asheville’s horizon will be led by some familiar faces. JT Murrett and Vince Tursi, former brewers at Burial Beer Co., have struck out on their own…Patrick O’Cain of Gan Shan Station and Jacob Sessoms of Table pair up to eliminate hunger. Also: Well Played Board Game Café celebrates its year one anniversary; District Wine Bar…
- Retired men are refashioning their lives with the support of other men who share their travails.The fight to protect food crops against destructive insect pests has become more challenging in recent years, Mills River farming expert Patryk Battle reports. Battle and Boone-based insect scientist Richard…
- The Cat Fly Indie Film Festival returns, Asheville Pizza & Brewing celebrates Comedy Month and more.
- Anna Aston, Fannie L. Patton and Anna Chunn were among the earliest advocates for a library in Asheville. The institution finally opened in May of 1879.For nearly 30 years, the CTS of Asheville Superfund site has been a source of physical and social toxicity for the surrounding community. With remedial efforts to address the source…A new local festival will come to Salvage Station on Saturday, March 31. Organizers of the Asheville Arts and Science Festival hope to raise awareness about what science looks like…City Council discussed police reforms during a work session on March 20 and ousted longtime City Manager Gary Jackson, who was about nine months away from retirement.
- "I am greatly enjoying reading the feature 'Asheville Archives.' I think it is a great addition to the Xpress.""He knows that a complex problem like gun violence is not solved by solely allowing guns to be carried in our schools and concealed in our pocketbooks and waistbands.""If Asheville keeps promoting tourism, at some point, without stricter litter laws, people will stop coming here, seeing so much trash all around the city.""For being a town mostly known for being heavy on the gay more than straight ratio — where are our safe places?"