- Local board game designers team up to create new adventures.Lonesome Station music series partners with American Vinyl Co. for a new music series. Plus, two exhibits celebrate Juneteenth all month long; the return of the Blue Ridge Orchestra; and…
- Asheville Drag Brunch is back, Session Café & Bar gets a new chef de cuisine, Steve Goff takes over the kitchen at Jargon and more local food news.As Asheville businesses begin to resurface from the crushing effects of COVID-19, the S&W Building and the Grove Arcade are being reimagined as vibrant, food-focused community gathering spots.
- Drug abuse changed during the 13 years that Adam McIssac has been working as a drug and alcohol counselor in Asheville. At the beginning, McIssac mostly saw clients who were…
- Local filmmaker David Weintraub examines the history of moonshine in his latest documentary, The Spirits Still Move Them.
- In 1925, as more motorists flooded the roads, local residents sought solutions to the city's growing traffic problems.In June 1995, a young lawyer named J. Calvin Hill parked his car in downtown Asheville and walked toward the Buncombe County Courthouse. Hill, who had been working for several…The Solarize rate of $2.45 per watt of electricity generation is roughly 9% cheaper than the statewide average of $2.67 per watt listed by EnergySage, an industry website. The program,…Newly formed Asheville nonprofit Accessing Needed Crisis and Critical Help Outreach and Resources is proposing a low-barrier, high-access shelter that would forego many of the usual rules for tenants. Start-up…At a June 10 meeting of the Council of Independent Business Owners, Republican Sen. Chuck Edwards said he had “come around to the way of thinking of the folks in…As in previous years, members of the public both applauded the city for funding long-promised initiatives, such as the 2018 Transit Master Plan and increases to firefighter pay, and voiced…
- "ACM has always been about more than gymnastics, and this past year, that has mattered more than ever.""Under the new in-class program, Angela goes to school and goes to her hub, where she stays all day. In her hub, she takes first-period art online (she has her…"The development is to be built on a main road, in the middle of a long-established commercial strip; it will not destroy some quiet neighborhood.""Every visionary city plan with citizen input here was created exactly to prevent this type of intrusion and destruction.""Each segment of the community is yelling at the elected officials to promote its particular point of view, but there’s no structure for helping us all listen to one another…"I love the area, and there is a great deal of room, just not necessarily 'in Asheville,' but all surrounding areas.""Once a lovely, quaint town, it is overdeveloped.""We need to invest in ourselves — pay living wages, build or convert affordable housing, expand public transportation, house the homeless, focus spending on the people who live here.""We moved here 10 years ago, but between the nasty-ass tourists and the ridiculously bad crime rate per capita, we also have decided to move away.""Isn’t this like telling a family of eight living in a two-room house that you’re persuading a couple of baseball teams to move in with them?""The debate over impact is ongoing, so maybe the question is how many are too much; the only thing going forth and multiplying harmoniously is the virus.""What a great opportunity for Asheville and the Chamber of Commerce to pronounce Asheville as Rock City, N.C., in competition with Rock City, Tenn."