- Director Keith Dunnavant discusses making his latest documentary sports film.Rising costs have brought an already wrought situation to the brink, but Asheville-area artists continue to make it work.“I wanted to somehow capture both the ’20s, with its jazz influence, while at the same time explore the decade’s demise — that pivotal point when things start to go…J Art Show explores work of prominent Jewish artists, BMCM+AC reimagines 1951 dance and music performance, Anything Fiber Yard Sale features leftover studio finds, and more!
- The inaugural Grove Arcade Summer Festival brings a number of restaurant specials to the historic building. Also: chef Elliot Moss announces his departure from Buxton Hall Barbecue; Cafetería y Taqueria…
- Representatives from the city and county recognize their respective spending must be intentional in focus and coordinated with each other’s work.This month's column features tips for growing squash, as well as ways to reduce voles from eating into your bounty.
- On Nov. 21, 1930, The Asheville Citizen offered its readers reassurance, following the unexpected closure of the Central Bank and Trust Co. — the city’s largest financial institution — the…Three projects proposed by outside nonprofit developers, either recently approved by Asheville City Council or currently being considered, offer 100% affordable housing targeted for older residents. Together, the three will…From occupancy tax allocations and hemp production to private bar membership, state legislators voted on several measures that are consequential to WNC in their recently concluded short session.The city of Asheville has contracted a company specializing in crime scene, hoarding and suicide cleanup to clear former homeless encampments.The county’s ad hoc reappraisal committee, tasked with reviewing allegations that Buncombe’s tax assessment process was unfair to low-income residents and communities of color, presented its recommendations to the board.…
- "The core of any democracy is participation by we the people in stating our preferences through the ballot box.""There should be zero homeless children because they do not have a choice.""In those precious column inches, you are a genuine local newspaper.""We think that with some basic education, the cups can end up in the right place so they get composted."