- Though both ensembles are working within the jazz idiom, the styles of music they create as worlds apart.Asheville singer/songwriter Hannah Kaminer connects local musicians with homebound fans.Asheville Area Arts Council is providing assistance in the form of an online resource.
- Suddenly, hundreds of restaurants and thousands of employees, from chefs to dishwashers, are out of work. The ripple effect is profound, affecting farmers and suppliers who rely on the restaurant…
- While temporarily closed, Asheville-area movie theaters will creatively engage with patrons online.
- “All hail to this new movement known as woman’s suffrage!" wrote one enthusiastic Asheville resident in a letter to the editor, published on Nov. 23, 1894.“Anybody that follows the economy or follows the news will tell you that there’s a big elephant in the room that we can’t measure, and we’re all thinking about it,…Myriad nonprofit and community groups are springing into action to help locals persevere through the crisis. As existing organizations adjust their work to focus on COVID-19 needs and new efforts…Area hospitals have taken somewhat differing approaches to the question of whether to stop performing elective surgeries and other medical procedures. There are worries nationally about whether there will be…N.C. Gov. Roy Cooper issued a March 17 executive order making it easier for people statewide who have lost their jobs in the wake of business closures related to the…Due to cancellations and closures among music venues, restaurants, performing arts spaces and other businesses — some of the newspaper's biggest advertisers — about half the revenue that supports Xpress'…The budget allocation approved during the meeting was double the $250,000 request listed on the Buncombe County Board of Commissioners agenda, which was published on March 11. Of the new…
- "We desperately need to learn from and listen to each other without seeking to impose our own views, not only within our own communities but in a spirit of outreach…"[W]e’ve learned at 12 Baskets that by adopting a mentality of abundance, we can find ways to more evenly and equally distribute wealth and resources, especially food.""We cannot in good faith be praised for tourism, gentrification or other tributes to the mostly white recipients of American hospitality and opportunity without showing up in other ways to…