- Across Western North Carolina, public art projects seek to build community and unite individuals from all walks of life.The New Orleans-based group combines spoken word, hip-hop, gospel and other styles into a unique sound all its own. Tank and the Bangas won the prestigious Tiny Desk Contest in…The album’s most impressive feature is the way Corey Parlamento employs his band — something that will be well worth witnessing when they take the stage at Ambrose West on…Amanda Anne Platt, Aubrey Eisenman, Anya Hinkle and Mary Lucey play a pair of Mother's Day shows at Isis.Premiering Friday, May 11 at the Asheville Masonic Temple, When Adonis Calls reveals the intimate exchanges between an older, been-there, done-that-type writer and a young, eager fan.The pedal steel guitarist brings his band to the Salvage Station on May 12.There’s a charming vintage quality to 'Blithe Spirit' that truly resonates. The show is onstage though May 19.Jim Stokley and Michael Sartisky perform dramatic readings from the novel on May 10 at Battery Park Book Exchange & Champagne Bar.Comedy duo The Fun Bags performs its new show three times May 10-11 at The Mothlight.
- The Asheville-based technology startup builds websites and E-commerce solutions exclusively for craft breweries.Youth Transformed for Life's third annual Sweethearts Supper takes place Saturday, May 12, at the Arthur R. Edington Education & Career Center. Also: a sampling of area Mother's Day events.
- The inaugural U Grow Community Dig Day kicks off Western North Carolina's growing season with a plant sale, free workshops and other activities.People who are homeless often have no access to the most basic first aid, let alone full medical services. Several local nonprofits make it their mission to reach out to…
- The Grail screens a full sensory, immersive documentary on giving birth; multiple outdoor film series get underway and more.
- On April 26, the the Equal Justice Initiative, a private nonprofit, opened the National Memorial for Peace and Justice in Montgomery, Ala. The memorial features over 800 weathering steel monuments. According…At the Shiloh Community Garden, generations gather to connect with one another and with the environment.Local nonprofits compete for city and county grant funding every year. Xpress looks at the funding programs available and what nonprofits must do to be considered.Nonprofits are often judged by their overhead ratio, the percentage of their total expenses made up by administrative and fundraising costs. But as Jeanette Butterworth with WNC Nonprofit Pathways, is…They say you can’t take it with you, but what will your money do without you after you’re gone? Many local nonprofits would like you to consider them as you…Funded by a $10,000 grant from Mountain Area Workforce Development, a $5,000 grant from New Belgium Brewing Co. and $2,400 from the city Transportation Department, the project established a 6-foot-wide…On the heels of helping raise over $123,000 for area nonprofits in 2017, the Give!Local team plans to raise even more in 2018 via Give!Local’s end-of-year online giving platform. Donations grew…
Behind the food scene: A network of diverse businesses keeps Asheville’s restaurant industry cookingA surprisingly diverse community of businesses collaborate with Western North Carolina's hospitality sector through the Mountain Area Restaurant Vendors nonprofit group.The education nonprofit's anniversary party takes place May 11 at the Brevard Lumber Yard.Mission Health President and CEO Dr. Ron Paulus sees system expansion through mergers as a nearly inevitable survival tactic in the current healthcare environment. “There are many leaders — not…The county Board of Commissioners unanimously passed an amendment to the county’s zoning ordinance on Tuesday that will require developers seeking to build 75 or more residential units to also…
- "However, for 30 years, living in Asheville and Fletcher, I've relied on the adage 'Keep it simple,' or as it's shortened to 'KIS,' for my composting.""Please for the love of everything holy and sacred, if you begin a crossword in the Mountain Xpress, take it with you, recycle it, tear the page off, make origami.…"At the unconsciousness rate we are polluting our planet and the threat of nuclear annihilation by our militaristic world leaders, vermin will probably inherit Earth soon enough.""I wonder whether he is aware that the synonyms for truism are platitude and banality? ""While we need not live each day in the shadow of death, I urge my patients to give their hospital and emergency care some thought and not assume that, just…"The way forward starts with understanding that the sugar high of property speculation and the accompanying trickle-down lies are not the answer: Up-skilling our kids is."ASHEVILLE, NC"Many mothers in Western North Carolina are telling our families that all we want for Mother's Day is peace in our community and world.""As a multicultural community in which progressive values of inclusion and equality should prevail, Asheville deserves public servants, professionals and citizens who treat all people equally."ASHEVILLE, NC