- Beth Revis will launch A World Without You at Malaprop’s on Tuesday, July 19. The event includes a Q&A with local writer Alexa Duncan.In celebration of the 100th anniversary of the National Park Service (of which the Sandburg Home is part), Flat Rock Playhouse created two new original productions — Spink, Skabootch and…“The American blues form is foreign to us,” says Malian master guitarist Mamadou Kelly. That may come as a surprise to American audiences who hear in Kelly's music a connection…The outdoor art fair is free to browse and takes place on Sunday, July 17.The series of fortuitous events that took Jake Ingalls from a fan of The Flaming Lips to playing with them has the makings of a Hollywood movie.The foursome of friends plays PULP on Sunday, July 17.Kansas Bible Company plays a free show at Salvage Station on Saturday, July 16.The Jeff Thompson Giving Trio, which draws on the additional talents of keys player Aaron Price and drummer James Kylen, plays The Grey Eagle on Saturday, Jul 16.
- Burial, Zebulon and New Belgium share their selections for the annual gathering of wild and sour ales.An insatiable craving for Mexican food had pizza and brew man Mike Rangel dreaming of the satisfying crunch of a hard-shelled taco.“It’s basic skills,” says Nan Chase. “Once you know how simple it is and how safe it is, people can feel encouraged to say, ‘Oh yeah, I can do some…
- The unique combination of wildfires and high pollen counts in WNC this season may be contributing to the rise in allergies.The Autism Society of North Carolina's two-day fundraiser kicks of with a pre-party at Wild Wings Café on Friday, July 22. On the following morning, stand up paddle board racers…
- Heritage livestock breeds have a lot to offer WNC's small farmers. Fiber animals that evolved on small farmsteads are hardier and easier to manage than breeds developed for high yields…If you’ve ever driven past the Vance Monument during one of the many protests held there over the last 20 years, there’s a fair chance that Clare Hanrahan numbered among…“There’s this treasure trove of information just sitting there that’s never really been very well mined, because in the past it’s been so complex to run computations against it,” explains…
- "While [Floyd] McKissick’s dream was never realized, we owe him a debt for the water system for the county, which is still in use today.""For veterans, the community they live in is literally a key to their very survival: It takes a village to help those who’ve borne the battle.""At no time did anything 'nearly incite violence' or rise anywhere a level of 'lynch-mob-like' atmosphere, and once they were gone, the show was, as always, fantastic.""Sixty percent of returning veterans have hearing damage of some kind."