- The Asheville area has long attracted out-of-state painters, photographers and indie crafters. But what happens after these creative nonnatives decide to trade visitor status for residency? Transplants, an art exhibit…While studying at Burren College of Art in Western Ireland, “I knew I wanted to use plant dyes, so I started foraging from the local landscape,” says Suzanne Teune. Mainly…The Asheville musician plays solo and with his rock power-trio Max Gross Weight each Sunday in August at Catawba Brewing Co.’s South Slope Tasting Room & Brewery.True to LEAF's mission of inclusivity, a diverse slate of performers play Pack Square Park Friday and Saturday, Aug. 4 and 5.The Asheville artist leads the Center for Craft, Creativity & Design’s outdoor pop-up workshop on letterpress printing Friday. Aug. 4.All of the parts come together in a magical, mystical feat of precision that, while expected from Flat Rock, still amazes.The Orangeburg, S.C.-based author reads from his new novel at City Lights Bookstore in Sylva on Friday, Aug. 4.“The longevity of this festival comes from the wonderful ancestry that has evolved out of the mountains,” says Loretta Freeman. “You’ll have up to five generations in a family that…The record release show for Tam Tsu's Man Will Drown takes place at The Mothlight on Thursday, Aug. 3.
- Asheville, N.C.Food access can be a huge challenge for families in WNC's hard-to-reach rural areas — especially during summer break when children are not receiving school lunch assistance.Open since early June, Yancey County's first brewery focuses on sessionable yet flavorful beers made with local ingredients.Double D's Coffee and Desserts invites the community to be a part of its latest renovation project. Also in this week's food news, Sunny Point Café hosts a benefit dinner…
- In Mission's NICU, the youngest patients in the hospital system and their parents receive extraordinary levels of care and support that help these babies through their roughest moments and then…This year's Speaking of Gardening symposium will take place Aug. 11 and 12 at the Folk Art Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway — a new location for the 19-year-old…Wild foods, foraged from Western North Carolina's biodiverse environment, give a boost to health as superfoods high in nutrients, say leaders of local "weed walks."Rooftops offer businesses the opportunity to turn under-utilized space into blooming (and buzzing) food-production spots.
- The Weaverville and Macon County libraries and the Grail celebrate silent films, the Fine Arts hosts a benefit screening of 'An Inconvenient Sequel' and more.
- Asheville, N.C.Xpress takes a look at how Buncombe County commissioners set the tax rate during off-the-record phone calls and in-person meetings.While other planned greenways have bogged down in the face of rising costs — leaving the timeline for their construction in doubt — a flurry of fundraising, planning and design…WHAT: The second annual My Sistah Taught Me That fashion show WHEN: Sunday, Aug. 6, 3-5:30 p.m. WHERE: Celine’s on Broadway WHY: From dance performances to marching down the catwalk,…
- "Active nonviolent resistance is at its best when it does not focus on condemnation, but on healing, forgiveness, compassion and love, calling for democratic change."Asheville, N.C."I have appreciated the paper's efforts to go into more depth about the conditions that face all the communities within our community, whether that be education, transportation, housing, employment, sprawl…"Looking for creative businesses that don't require raw materials to be shipped in and products to be shipped out means that we can minimize our greatest weakness while working on…"Very little has changed here since I was co-captain of the first integrated Asheville High football team and learned much about how Asheville has stacked the deck against nonwhites, and…