“Is [a wedding registry] a way to organize all the gifts you want and make it easy for people to shop for you?” asks Newsvine. “Or is it an annoyance?”
The registry (formerly known as a bridal registry, but these days it includes the groom’s tastes, too) allows the couple to make a list of items they’d most like to receive from a few stores where their wedding guests can shop—thus eliminating the guess work and the likelihood of receiving five toasters. While some wedding-goers don’t enjoy being told where to shop, many appreciate the up-front info. The couple should sign up for items in a range of prices to accommodate the varying budgets of their guests.
Here’s a list of local business with wedding registry services, culled from AshevilleBridal.com:
• Chelsea’s Tea Room (6 Boston Way, Asheville, 274-4400)—teas, coffees, antiques, lunches and desserts.
• The Pampered Chef (119 Arnold Heights, Waynesville, 550-0586)—quality kitchen tools.
• Complements to the Chef (374 Merrimon Ave., Asheville, 258-0558)—Bake-ware, china, cookbooks and cookware, small appliances, kitchen gadgets and more.
• Mast General Store (15 Biltmore Ave., Asheville, 232-1883)—Clothing, shoes, outdoor gear, collectibles.
• Porter & Prince (2 Hendersonville Road, Suite A1, Asheville, 236-2337)—Home furnishings
• The Potter’s Mark (122 Riverside Drive, Studio A, Asheville, 252-9122)—Custom-made pottery.
Other nationwide chains with local stores offering registries include:
• Bed, Bath & Beyond (83 S. Tunnel Road, Asheville, 299-8446)—Homeware superstore.
• Belk (5 S. Tunnel Road, Asheville, 298-4970; 800 Brevard Rd # 700, Asheville, 665-4480)—Mall department store.
• Dillard’s (3 South Tunnel Road, Asheville, 298-2611; 800 Brevard Road, Asheville, 665-5385)—Mall department store.
• Home Depot (795 Fairview Road, Asheville, 274-7838)—Home-improvement superstore.
• JC Penny (3 S. Tunnel Road, Asheville, 299-0040)—Mall department store.
• Lowe’s (95 Smokey Park Hwy., Asheville, 255-9113; 89 S. Tunnel Road, Asheville, 299-3788)—Home-improvement superstore.
• Pier 1 (100 River Hills Road, Asheville, 298-9779)—Decor store.
• Sears (1 S. Tunnel Road, Asheville, 299-2228)—Mall department store.
• Target (115 River Hills Road, Asheville, 298-1262)—Department store.