When it comes to children’s clothes, does the term “designer” bring to mind images of pricey Dolce & Gabbana logo rompers or $100 Dior PJs that are sure to wind up as dust rags the moment the spit-up hits the fan? Local designers prove that kids’ couture doesn’t have to mean paying top dollar for impractical outfits. In fact, Asheville just happens to offer a wealth of washable, creative kids’ styles sure to rival what you’ll find at Baby Gap. Here, three future Xpress staffers model Spring lines by Annie M Designs, Dogwood Digs and Melody Dawn Designs. Photography by Jonathan Welch
Sets provided by Mobilia (43 Haywood St., 252-8322) unless otherwise noted.
• Ella contemplates life on Haywood Street, wearing a butterfly top and pants with matching purse by Dogwood Digs, $40.
• Ryan’s the hippest baby on the block in a checkered top-and-shorts set by Annie M Designs, $79.99.
• Beau (at home) strums to the tune of a striped top and paisley shorts by Annie M Designs, $79.99.
• Doe-eyed Ella welcomes spring in a pieced floral dress by Annie M Designs, $55.99.
• Ryan, in full possession of his cuteness, sports a boy’s romper by Dogwood Digs, $30.
• Beau (at home) rides in a sling by Melody Dawn Designs; comes in linen ($35) or hemp ($45) and can be embroidered with baby’s name for an additional $5.
Here’s where to shop:
• Annie M Designs are available at Heaven Rains Boys and Girls, 1 Page Ave., 252-1484.
• Dogwood Digs are available at the Grove Arcade Portico Market, 1 Page Ave., or by calling 337-0541.
• Find Melody Dawn Designs at melodydawndesigns.com.