It looks like things are starting to slow down a bit this weekend, as far as trademark events are concerned. That being said, I was able to dig around a bit and find some neat things happening in the area. Hopefully they pique your interest, so let’s get rolling.
REI has a few shenanigans going on this weekend. TONIGHT they are offering a “Winter Camping Basics” course. This is of dire importance if you plan to follow the #getoutside code this winter to venture out and explore our wonderful terrain — despite the polar vortexes and arctic blasts. During this course, they plan to cover “how to plan, how to stay warm, how to select winter-appropriate gear and what to expect when setting up camp and during your overnight.” The course is free, but it does require registration. Click here to register.
Holy hamstrings, Batman! Have you guys heard of the “Cranksgiving” weekend going on down in Greenville? They describe it as “three days filled with two-wheeled pedal power of giving thanks and racing bikes.” It’s kicking off Friday night with an alley-cat race, followed by a slew of bike races on Saturday and Sunday. Events include the South Carolina State Championship Super D, the Turkey Shoot XC Eliminator, Set the Sky on Fire Bonfire Party and Bike Drag Race and the Wild Turkey Enduro. All turkey themed, naturally. You can sign up here.
On Saturday you will have the opportunity to redeem yourself after all those times you’ve ridden out at Bent Creek while the trails were super muddy. You know who you are. Pisgah Area SORBA and REI will be leading a Bent Creek Trail Work Day. It looks like they will be targeting their shovels on Greenslick and going from there. Meet at Laurel Branch and look for the REI signs, 9 a.m. There is also said to be a light trailside breakfast for volunteers. They are wanting everyone to register so they can get a basic head count. You can do that here.
Beginning today, the Asheville Hiking Group has posted a new “conditioning” hike that will repeat every other week through Jan. 20. Hikers can plan to meet in the Bent Creek Picnic Area and Kayak Launch, 191 Brevard Rd., at 9 a.m. The hike itself is 10.8 miles and follows the Shut-In Trail. Details here. The group will also be leading a few other hikes this weekend, which I’ve included in the hiking list below.
Lastly, these aren’t on the weekends, but I did want to mention the Pisgah Area SORBA (PAS) “Night Rides” out at Bent Creek. Every Wednesday through the winter, PAS will be meeting in the Rice Pinnacle Lot at Bent Creek around 6 p.m. Be ready to roll at 6:15 p.m! Lights are required — obviously. Dress appropriately and be prepared to ride a couple hours at a casual pace. For more info go here.
One more thing: There’s this team sport called “Rugby” that large humans with a high pain tolerance play. I’ve seen it a few times on TV, and I think the main premise is to tackle as many players on the opposite team as you can. The team with the most tackles wins. Kind of like dodgeball, but with no balls and more tackling. Am I getting this right? Well apparently, Asheville is home to a pretty good rugby squad. They made it all the way to the national playoffs last year. They have a home game this Saturday at North Buncombe High in Weaverville, if you want to get in on the action. Check out AshevilleRugby.org for more details.
That’s it! If you have an event or outdoor activity that you would like to see posted, just let us know at email@example.com!
- 11/21 – 11/23 — Cranksgiving (Greenville, SC) More Info
- 11/22 — Mud, Sweat and Gears – MSG #7: Bristol Cyclocross (Bristol, TN) More Info
- 11/23 — NC Cyclocross Series – NCCX #8 : State Championships! (Durham, NC) More Info
- 11/22 — Liberty Bikes – Saturday Bent Creek MTB Rides Beginner & Intermediate (Every Saturday) More Info
- 11/22 — Sycamore Cycles Spin & Grin Road Ride (Every Saturday) More Info
- 11/26 – Pisgah SORBA Bent Creek Night Ride (Every Wednesday) More Info
- 11/20 — Asheville hiking Group – Conditioning Hike – Shut in Trail – 10.8 (Bent Creek @ FBR) More Info
- 11/22 — Asheville Hiking Group -Tanawha Trail 10+ Mi *moderate* (Meet @ Westgate Plaza) More Info
- 11/22 — Asheville Hiking Group – Mills River / Coffee Pot loop (Meet @ Ingles Long Shoals) More Info
- 11/23 — Asheville Hiking Group – Mt. Sterling via Baxter Creek 12.4mi (Meet @ Westgate Plaza) More Inf0
- 11/22 — WNC Easy Hikers – Pine Tree Lolipop – Bent Creek (Bent Creek) More Info