If you’ve ever wanted to be part of a world record, now is your chance! This weekend Asheville is aiming to break the world record for most linked tubers on the water. Right now, Portland, Ore., owns the record at 634. I have no doubt we will crush this number, but we’ll also do it in style (kind of), as all tubers are encouraged to dress themselves up as zombies. For more info check out the official Facebook page.
Theres also a great little trail race and kids’ run happening out in Black Mountain at Rock the Quarry 5k. All proceeds from the race go to the Black Mountain Home for Children and long-time partner the Colburn Earth Science Museum. The run begins at Grove Stone & Sand Quarry, and rumor has it that runners will be required to carry boulders to various checkpoints along the route. Back braces will be provided at check-in — not really, but maybe they can work that into the run next year.
I’m not sure who came up with this idea, but apparently there is a 5k out in Arden called the Runway 5k that’s actually on the runway of Asheville Regional Airport. If you like running around dodging commercial jetliners landing and taking off at 150mph, then this event is for you! Apparently they “search for a window of time in-between scheduled commercial flights, and go from there.” Best of luck to all attendees. I’ll be at home far removed from the threat of being run over by an airplane.
KOLO Bike Park is hosting the Asheville Cyclocross race this weekend. Guys, if you haven’t been to KOLO yet, you’re missing out. The bike park’s main feature is a 4-mile purpose-built mountain bike trail on rolling terrain designed for all levels of riders to experience flow. I hear theres a pretty sweet pump track and it sounds like the cyclocross course is spectator-friendly and primo for heckling cyclocross racers. KOLO is located just off of Patton, adjacent to the Crown Plaza Property off of Resort Dr. (Just go to their website for directions and a map).
Also worth mentioning is the world’s greatest mountain bike race — and the hardest too. The Pisgah Mountain Bike Stage Race, organized by Blue Ridge Adventures, starts Monday, Sept. 22, in Brevard. This is one of those races that gets national-level attention due to the quality of the the trails and the difficulty of the terrain. It’s one of the few mountain bike stage races held in the contiguous U.S., and it usually draws top talent. Not for the faint of heart, the race is five consecutive days, 140 miles long, and has over 20,000ft of climbing. Huffys need not apply.
If you have an event or outdoor activity that you would like to see posted, just let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- 9/20 — Asheville Cyclocross at Kolo Bike Park (Kolo Bike Park) More Info
- 9/20 — Liberty Bikes – Saturday Bent Creek MTB Rides Beginner & Intermediate (Every Saturday) More Info
- 9/20 — Blue Ridge Bicycle Club Road Ride (Every Saturday) More Info
- 9/20 — Sycamore Cycles Spin & Grin Road Ride (Every Saturday) More Info
- 9/22-9/27 — Pisgah Mountain Bike Stage Race (Brevard, NC) More Info
- 9/20 — Rock the Quarry 5k (Black Mountain, NC) More Info
- 9/20 — Runway 5k (Arden, NC) More Info
- 9/20 — Stick Boy Mayview Madness 5k (Blowing Rock, NC) More Info
- 9/20 — Asheville Track Club Saturday Group Run (Every Saturday) Contact information: 828-273-8860 or email@example.com
- 9/20 — Jus’ Running Saturday- Morning Group Run (Every Saturday) More Info
- 9/20 — Collier Cove Nature Preserve Grand Opening! (Arden, NC) More Info
- 9/20 — Asheville Hiking Group – Linville Gorge 16m (Linville, NC ) More Info
- 9/20 — Asheville Hiking Group – Mills River/Coffeepot Loop (Pisgah Inn dinner option) More Info
- 9/20 — Asheville Hiking Group – Middle Prong Wilderness 9m (Meet @ Brevard Rd. Ingles) More Info
- 9/21 — Asheville Hiking Group – Whitewater Falls and Turtleback Falls (Waterfalls Hike) More Info
- 9/21 — WNC Easy Hikers – Bridal Veil Falls (DuPont State Forest) More Info
On the River
- 9/20 – Tube-ocalypse – Zombie Float – WORLD RECORD ATTEMPT! (French Broad Mass Tube Float) More Info
- Asheville Adventure Rentals – Tubes / Canoes / Kayaks More Info
- Asheville Outdoor Center – French Broad River – Paddle/Tubing More Info
- Zen Tubing – French Broad River More Info
- Western Carolina Kayakers – Meetup More Info