Well, it’s officially Autumn. Time to hunker down, pull out your hoodie, put on a pot of chili, make some cornbread, stock up on porters and stouts, avoid the Blue Ridge Parkway Leavers and get outside!
On Saturday, Sept. 27, in Black Mountain, the first annual Jumping for Java 5k is taking place. Runners will have the opportunity to consume massive amounts of caffeinated beverages before, during and after the race. (I’m assuming Port-A-Johns will be on site and readily accessible.) Proceeds are to benefit Coffee For Education and Lan Vwa, whose missions are to bring education to children in poverty-stricken regions.
If you really want to see how your kid stacks up against other fifth graders, you might consider dropping by the Healthy Kids Running Series in Fletcher Park on Sunday, Sept. 28. Youngsters from pre-K all the way to eighth grade have the opportunity to race against youths in a similar age category. Points are awarded after each race and winners are crowned at the end of the season.
The Pisgah Mountain Bike Stage Race is still going on, and it’s happening right now — like actually right now! Check in with Blue Ridge Adventures or drop by their Facebook page to see who’s in the lead and who’s … “just doing it for fun.” Todd Branham (of Blue Ridge Adventures) always puts on a spectacular event and this stage race is the pinnacle. There’s a whole swath of events throughout the entire year, and I challenge you to sign up for one or two. You won’t regret it.
Just North of Asheville, in Unicorn, TN — wait … Unicoi, Tenn. — the MSG (Mud Sweat & Gears) Cyclocross Series is kicking off its first race of the season. Talk about some stiff competition: You’ll typically have a handful of the best cross races in the region duking it out at these races. Hugely popular and always a spectator friendly events, these cross races are boat loads of fun, I’m telling ya, folks: There’s a race for everyone too! Juniors, youth, beginners women and men, masters and pros will all have a spot on the start line. Take your cross or mountain bike and give it a shot! Races are on Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 27-28.
If you have an event or outdoor activity that you would like to see posted, just let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- 9/22-9/27 — Pisgah Mountain Bike Stage Race (Brevard, NC) More Info
- 9/27 & 9/28 — MSG Cyclocross Series Races #1 & #2 (Unicoi, TN) More Info
- 9/27 — At The Ridge Fun Trails (CX Race, Downhill, Trials) More Info
- 9/27 — Liberty Bikes – Saturday Bent Creek MTB Rides Beginner & Intermediate (Every Saturday) More Info
- 9/27 — Blue Ridge Bicycle Club Road Ride (Every Saturday) More Info
- 9/27 — Sycamore Cycles Spin & Grin Road Ride (Every Saturday) More Info
- 9/27 — Jumping for Java 5k (Black Mountain, NC) More Info
- 9/27 — Asheville Track Club Saturday Group Run (Every Saturday) Contact information: 828-273-8860 or email@example.com
- 9/27 — Jus’ Running Saturday- Morning Group Run (Every Saturday) More Info
- 9/28 — Healthy Kids Running Series (Sundays @ Fletcher Park) More Info
- 9/26-9/28 — Asheville Hiking Group – Various Hikes (Check site for updates –> ) More Info
- 9/27 — WNC Easy Hikers – Log Hollow Falls (Pisgah Forest) More Info
- 9/28 — WNC Easy Hikers – French Broad Greenway River Walk (Hominy Creek) More Info