Hunger Action Day — Thursday, Sept. 3
- Wear orange in support of Hunger Action Month’s goal of raising awareness about hunger issues or join MANNA FoodBank’s orange-spoon social media challenge. Details: Click on “Hunger Action Month 2015” at mannafoodbank.org.
Book signings and cooking demos with Leanne Brown, author of Good and Cheap: Eat Well on $4 a Day — Friday, Sept. 4:
- 2-4 p.m., Pisgah View Apartments, 1 Granada St.
- 6:30-8 p.m., City Lights Bookstore, 3 E. Jackson St., Sylva
MANNA FoodBank’s 14th annual Empty Bowls events — Monday, Sept. 14:
- Lunch — 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Doubletree by Hilton, 115 Hendersonville Road;
- Dinner — 5:30-7:30 p.m., Hilton Asheville in Biltmore Park, 43 Town Square Blvd. For either event, adult tickets are $35, kids ages 8-15 are $10, kids age 7 and younger are free. Adult tickets include a bowl of your choice made by local artisans. Details and tickets: Click on “Hunger Action Month 2015” at mannafoodbank.org.
Poverty simulation — Tuesday, Sept. 15
- Sessions 4-6 p.m. and 7-9 p.m.; free dinner 6-7 p.m., Franklin United Methodist Church, Memorial Hall, 66 Harrison Ave., Franklin — MANNA FoodBank and Macon County CareNet will lead a guided, interactive event to expose participants to the challenges facing low-income and food-insecure families in WNC. RSVP required by Thursday, Sept. 10. Details and tickets: Contact Jennifer Trippe at email@example.com or 226-0096
Used book sale — Thursday-Sunday, Sept. 24-27
- Noon-6 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 24; noon-7:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 25; 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 26; noon-4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 27, all at St. James Episcopal Church, 424 W. State St., Black Mountain — A portion of proceeds will benefit Swannanoa Valley Christian Ministry and Bouty & Soul. A coffee bar will be available during shopping hours. Donations of used books for the sale are needed and can be dropped off at the church. To have books picked up, call the church at 669-2754. Details: stjameswnc.org
Screening and roundtable discussion of the documentary film A Place at the Table — Sunday, Sept. 27
- Time to be decided, White Horse Black Mountain, 105-C Montreat Road, Black Mountain. Bounty & Soul, the Dr. John Wilson Community Garden and Gardens That Give will collaborate to present this documentary about hunger in the United States. There is no admission fee, but love offerings are encouraged. Details: bountyandsoul.org
Drive Away Hunger — Wednesday, Sept. 30
- 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Andy Shaw Ford, 1231 E. Main St., Sylva — Fundraiser for the Community Table. Test-drive new Fords. Free doughnuts and coffee 9-11 a.m. Barbecue lunch or dinner 11 a.m.-5 p.m., minimum $7 donation per plate. For large carryout orders, call the Community Table at 586-6782 by 5 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 29. Details: firstname.lastname@example.org or communitytable.org
Hunger Action Month Wrap Party — Wednesday, Sept. 30
- 4-8 p.m., Highland Brewing Co., 12 Old Charlotte Highway — Family- and dog-friendly party to observe the end of Hunger Action Month and the completion of the Space to Erase Hunger capital campaign. For every beer sold, Highland will donate $1 to MANNA. Also, throughout the month, all donations gathered after Highland’s free brewery tours will be donated to MANNA. Details: Click “What’s up?” at highlandbrewing.com.
For details on these and other events going on in WNC during Hunger Action Month or to learn about ways to get involved by donating or volunteering, click on “Hunger Action Month 2015” at mannafoodbank.org or contact MANNA’s individual partner agencies directly by searching by county or type of agency at mannafoodbank.org/where-to-find-help/food-finder/.