According to the Jan. 23, 1890, article in The Daily Citizen, the Children’s Home was originally located near Doubleday (present-day Five Points neighborhood). The article stated that the land was sold to Mission Hospital by J.E. Ray. Records from Buncombe County’s Register of Deeds confirm the transaction. The original deed notes that the land was “on the East side of East Street … two hundred and eighty feet (280) north of Chestnut street.”
Yet future accounts contradict this claim. In the 1935 Historical Facts Concerning Buncombe County Government, author George A. Digges Jr. writes that the Children’s Home took over Mission Hospital’s former location, the Hawley house, on Charlotte Street. In the 1985 book, One Hundred Years of Service: Memorial Mission Hospital, 1885-1985, edited by Mrs. William F. Taylor, there is no mention of the location on East Street. Its chronology states that the hospital began on Main Street in 1885, then moved briefly to Haywood Street the following year, before relocating to Charlotte Street in 1887, until it opened a new facility at Charlotte and Woodfin streets in 1892; Mission remained operating on this site until 1954. (See “Asheville Archives: Mission Hospital’s Early Woes, 1885,” March 14, Xpress)
To add to the mystery, the 1890 city directory has the home listed at 17 Charlotte St.