• You’ll need an ID (such as a driver’s license, military or state ID, passport or birth certificate), as well as proof of your Social Security number in the form of a Social Security card, W-2 form or payroll stub.
• You do not need to be a resident of North Carolina to apply for a marriage license in the state. However, if you’re under 18, you’ll need parental consent. If you were previously married, you’ll need to supply your date of divorce.
• Blood and other tests are not required, and $50 will have you on your way to the altar.
• Marriage licenses are good for 60 days, and must be returned signed by an ordained clergy member and two witnesses. Add $10 for a copy of the marriage certificate, which is needed for women planning to change their names.
• Visit the Register of Deeds office at the Buncombe County Courthouse, Room 110, 60 Court Plaza, or call 250-4301. The application form can be downloaded at www.buncombecounty.org/governing/depts/RegisterDeeds/vital_marriage.htm.
• Many honeymoon locations outside the U.S. require a passport for travel. If you’re not currently holding an up-to-date passport, allow plenty of time for this process.
• New passports must be applied for in person at the passport office: Applicants should bring proof of U.S. citizenship in the form of a birth certificate, two passport photos and the $85 fee. Plan on at least six weeks to receive the passport.
• For those who have an expired passport from less than 15 years ago, the renewal process can be done through the mail. You will need to include two passport photos and the $55 fee.
• Visas are required for some foreign travel, and are obtained from the embassy of the country you intend to visit. Fees vary.
• Visit the passport office at the downtown post office (33 Coxe Ave.) or call 271-6429. For more information and downloadable forms, go to www.travel.state.gov
• These days, it’s as acceptable for a woman to keep her name as it is for a man to take his wife’s name for the couple to hyphenate. For either or both spouses to legally change their names, extra copies of the marriage certificate are needed.
• For men, if there is not a space to indicate a name change on the marriage license, you will need court papers to legally change your name. Women can change their name on the marriage license.
• Call the Social Security Administration at 251-9941 or go to 800 Centerpark Drive to obtain forms and instructions.
• Obtain a new driver’s license at the Department of Motor Vehicles. For info, call 298-0712.