It's been nearly a month since the deadline for candidates to file for Buncombe County races, so it's time once again to fire up the Xpress Campaign Calendar. We invite candidates and campaigners to send us information on events that are open to the public. Xpress will list them, along with important voter information, both in print and online at www.mountainx.com.
Our Campaign Calendar will run in each issue from Aug. 19 through the Nov. 3 general election. Send notices of public campaign events for candidates within Buncombe County to email@example.com. (Please send this info at least one week before intended publication date.)
With a total of 42 people gunning for municipal seats in Asheville, Biltmore Forest, Black Mountain, Montreat, Weaverville and Woodfin, there should be plenty of opportunities for even the wonkiest to satisfy the political bug, or for tried-and-true supporters to get out and show their favorite candidate some love.
Readers can also keep up with all of Xpress' election coverage online at www.mountainx.com/topics/find/election+2009.
Meanwhile, here are some key dates according to Buncombe County Election Services:
• Friday, Sept. 11: Deadline to register for the primary election
• Thursday, Sept. 17 through Saturday, Oct. 3: Early voting for primary
• Tuesday, Oct. 6: Primary election
• Friday, Oct. 9: Deadline to register for general election
• Thursday, Oct. 15 through Saturday, Oct. 31: Early voting for general election
• Tuesday, Nov. 3: General election