To be eligible to vote in the Oct. 9 primary, regular voter registration must take place by Sept. 14. Remember, however, that due to a new state law, you will still be able to register and vote at the same time during the one-stop absentee voting period, Sept. 20 through Oct. 6. For information, call your Board of Elections (in Buncombe County: 250-4200).
• Sept. 5: You may request an absentee ballot from the Board of Elections beginning Sept. 5; all requests must be made no later than one week prior to the election in which you wish to vote. Call the BOE at 250-4200 for more information.
• Sept. 6 and 11: “Coffee Talk with Bill Russell”—an open forum for anyone to visit with City Council candidate Russell and talk about issues—takes place from 7:30 to 9 a.m. at Atlanta Bread Company on Merriman Avenue. For information or to host a coffee talk of your own, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 242-3615.
• Sept. 7: The Lindsey Simerly Campaign Kickoff Party takes place at 9 p.m. Joli Rouge (130 College St.), complete with a Dirty South Dance Party, drag show and burlesque performances. The $5 cover goes to Food Not Bombs. Simerly is a candidate for Asheville City Council.
• Sept. 8: Volunteer canvassers for Asheville City Council candidate Elaine Lite will gather at the West End Bakery on Haywood Road for a 10 a.m.-to-3 p.m. day of canvassing. For information, call 337-8789.
• Sept. 8: A house party to support re-election of City Council member Brownie Newman will be held at the home of Harry Weiss and Roberta Cole (17 Chiles St. in the Kenilworth neighborhood). Refreshments will be served. RSVP to email@example.com or 243-0107.
• Sept. 15: Citizens to Re-elect Councilman Brownie Newman are participating in the Asheville Energy Independence Day rally at Weaver Park from 10 to 11 a.m., then from 5 to 7 p.m. will meet at the West End Bakery on Haywood Road to distribute some 2,000 CFL, energy-efficient light bulbs to community residents. Call 243-0107 for information.
Candidates and campaigners: Send notices of campaign events to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in this calendar. Notices are due the Thursday before their publication on the following Wednesday.