One Stop Early Voting begins on Thursday, Oct. 16, and ends on Saturday, Nov. 1 (all polls open from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Nov. 1). Early Voting is offered Monday through Saturday at the following locations in Buncombe County:
• Asheville Senior Opportunity Center, 36 Grove St., Asheville (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
• Avery’s Creek Community Center, 899 S.E. Glenn Bridge Road, Asheville (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
• Buncombe County Training Center, 199 College St., Asheville (8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
• Bee Tree Fire Department, 510 Bee Tree Road, Swannanoa (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
• Biltmore Square Mall, 800 Brevard Road, Asheville (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturday, Oct. 18, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.)
• Cheshire Village Black Mountain, 2 East Market St., Black Mountain (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
• Fairview Branch Library, 1 Taylor Road, Fairview (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
• Innsbruck Mall, 85 Tunnel Road, Asheville, 10 to 6 p.m.; Saturday, Oct. 18, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• Leicester Branch Library, 1561 Alexander Road, Leicester (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
• South Buncombe Branch Library, 260 Overlook Road, Asheville (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
• North Asheville Branch Library, 1030 Merrimon Ave., Asheville (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
• Oak Forest Presbyterian Church, 880 Sand Hill Road, Asheville (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
• UNCA, Zeis Building, 1 University Heights, Asheville)
• West Asheville Branch Library, 942 Haywood Road (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
• Weaverville Town Hall, 30 South Main St., Weaverville (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
Remember: If you need to register or change your registration, you may do so on the spot during Early Voting (have ID with you). For a list of the 2008 general ballot candidates, go to www.buncombecounty.org/common/boe/whoisontheballot.pdf.
Thursday, Oct. 9: Obama ‘08ing Change Concert, Asheville Arts Center, 308 Merrimon Ave., 8:30 p.m. (doors open at 8:15 p.m.), featuring R.I.S.E., Arundas, Luna Rasa and more. Advance tickets available at Obama Headquarters, 107 Merrimon Ave.; for information, contact Joshua@TrueNatureCommunity.org.
Friday, Oct. 10: Registration deadline for new registrants or for address changes in order to vote in the Nov. 4 general election. (The exception to this deadline is to register and vote at the same time during One-Stop Early Voting between Oct. 16 and Nov. 1.) If you will be 18 on or before Nov. 4, you are eligible to register to participate in this election.
Tuesday, Oct. 14: Meet & Greet with commission chair candidate David Gantt at Chiles House in Kenilworth, 6 to 8 p.m. For information call 442-9252.
Saturday, Oct. 11: Democratic candidates for Buncombe County Board of Commissioners will be available for an 8 to 10 a.m. breakfast at Owen High School. For information, call 274-4482.
Saturday, Oct. 18: Democratic candidates for Buncombe County Board of Commissioners meet and greet over breakfast at Reynolds High School, 8 to 10 a.m.; call 274-4482.
Monday, Oct. 20: Candidates forum for Buncombe commissioners and board chair, sponsored by the League of Women Voters of Asheville-Buncombe County, 7 p.m. at the Randolph Learning Center, 90 Montford Ave., Asheville. Co-sponsors include Children First and Kids Voting.
Monday, Oct. 27: Candidates forum for N.C. Senate District 49 and House Districts 114, 115 and 116 candidates, sponsored by the League of Women Voters of Asheville-Buncombe County, 7 p.m. at the Randolph Learning Center, 90 Montford Ave., Asheville. Co-sponsors include Children First and Kids Voting.
Tuesday, Oct. 28: Deadline for receipt of requests for absentee ballots by the Board of Elections is 5 p.m., Oct. 28.
For information about voter registration, absentee ballots or other election questions, call your county board of elections (in Buncombe County, call 250-4200). Send calendar listings of events open to the public in writing to Nelda Holder at firstname.lastname@example.org, or PO Box 144, Asheville NC 28802.