Buncombe school board votes for limited in-person return

Buncombe County Board of Education
BACK IN SESSION: The 2020-21 members of the Buncombe County Board of Education voted to begin the new school year with a brief period of in-person instruction, followed by remote-only learning until Monday, Sept. 28. Photo courtesy of Buncombe County Schools

Unlike their counterparts in Asheville City Schools, many students in Buncombe County Schools will start the year face-to-face with teachers inside school classrooms. Under “Plan B Beyond,” K-8 pupils whose families did not previously opt for remote-only learning will attend in-person lessons on alternating days Monday-Friday, Aug. 17-21, while students in grades 9-12 will follow that approach for the first two weeks of the academic calendar.

Most students would then move to remote-only learning through Monday, Sept. 28. Teachers could also offer in-person lessons to small groups or individuals if needed for supplemental instruction. Superintendent Tony Baldwin noted that 39% of the district’s students had already chosen remote-only instruction through at least the end of the first semester, meaning the “B Beyond” schedule would cover the remaining 61%.

The Buncombe County Board of Education was strongly divided on the move, approving it by only one vote. Chair Ann Franklin, along with members Amy Churchill, Max Queen and Peggy Buchanan, voted in favor of the plan, with Vice-Chair Cindy McMahon and members Pat Bryant and Donna Pate in opposition.

Franklin called the choice of how to reopen schools during the COVID-19 pandemic “without a doubt the most difficult decision I have ever made in my life.” However, she said it was critical for teachers to begin the year by establishing relationships with their students in person.

But both Bryant and Pate suggested that bringing students into contact with teachers would be an unacceptable health risk, particularly for vulnerable staff members. “Major League Baseball has changed my mind,” remarked Bryant, in reference to recent outbreaks of COVID-19 within the sport despite extensive safety precautions.

Meanwhile, McMahon said she’d hoped the county would adopt an even more aggressive approach to bringing students back. “The fear is just as much of a pandemic as COVID itself,” she argued. With adherence to the “Three W’s” of mask wearing, waiting 6 feet apart and handwashing, she said, students and staff would be “quite well protected.”


Thanks for reading through to the end…

We share your inclination to get the whole story. For the past 25 years, Xpress has been committed to in-depth, balanced reporting about the greater Asheville area. We want everyone to have access to our stories. That’s a big part of why we've never charged for the paper or put up a paywall.

We’re pretty sure that you know journalism faces big challenges these days. Advertising no longer pays the whole cost. Media outlets around the country are asking their readers to chip in. Xpress needs help, too. We hope you’ll consider signing up to be a member of Xpress. For as little as $5 a month — the cost of a craft beer or kombucha — you can help keep local journalism strong. It only takes a moment.

About Daniel Walton
Daniel Walton is the News Editor of Mountain Xpress, coordinating coverage of Western North Carolina's governments, community groups, businesses and environment. His work has previously appeared in Capital at Play, Edible Asheville and the Citizen-Times, among other area publications. Follow me @DanielWWalton

Before you comment

The comments section is here to provide a platform for civil dialogue on the issues we face together as a local community. Xpress is committed to offering this platform for all voices, but when the tone of the discussion gets nasty or strays off topic, we believe many people choose not to participate. Xpress editors are determined to moderate comments to ensure a constructive interchange is maintained. All comments judged not to be in keeping with the spirit of civil discourse will be removed and repeat violators will be banned. See here for our terms of service. Thank you for being part of this effort to promote respectful discussion.

One thought on “Buncombe school board votes for limited in-person return

  1. JustaTeacherSlave

    Apparently children are expendable……oh and all the adults who work in the schools.

Leave a Reply

To leave a reply you may Login with your Mountain Xpress account, connect socially or enter your name and e-mail. Your e-mail address will not be published. All fields are required.