Name: Ed Krause
Party affiliation, if any: Republican
Political experience: Two terms on Madison County School Board (1991-96)
Endorsements: I have not sought endorsements; I have grass-roots support.
1) How much money have you raised for your campaign? Who are your top three donors, and how much has each contributed?
I have not reached the threshold of $5,000 for federal reporting, and thus I do not have to disclose the names of donors. However, I have received no more than $100 from any one individual. Raising money is the most distasteful thing about running for Congress.
2) What most distinguishes you from your opponents?
Owner of a small business for over 35 years. I have solved many different legal problems for people from all walks fo life. Congress needs problem-solvers. I am the only Republican candidate to serve two terms on an elective board. That is crucial experience for Congress.
3) What are your top three legislative priorities?
1. Creation of private-sector jobs by reduction of spending, cutting taxes to increase capital to create jobs.
2. Energy independence by use of offshore drilling, nuclear and railroads.
3. Reduce health-care cost by increasing competition.
4) What's your position on the recent health-care reform legislation passed by Congress? What steps should be next in tackling health care?
Repeal of the so called "health-care reform bill." We need to reduce health-care cost by increasing competition. People need to be able to purchase insurance out of state.
5) What steps should be taken to deal with the contaminated former CTS of Asheville site? What's your opinion of the EPA's handling of the cleanup?
This is a complex issue, and I would need to study this further. Any environmental regulation needs to be practical and not unnecessarily injure jobs.
6) What's your opinion of the Defense Department's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy?
I would leave the present policy as is.
7) How do you believe the federal government should deal with the immigration situation?
Secure the borders, enforce existing laws against employers who hire illegals, prevent citizenship to children born in U.S. to illegals, and replace the income tax with the fair tax so that everyone pays.
8) What steps do you favor to deal with the economic downturn?
Eliminate Departments of Energy, Education, Federal Reserve and IRS. Then reduce the debt and taxes.
9) What's your position on abortion?
I am pro-life. Abortion should only be allowed to protect the life of the mother. I personally believe in adoption, having adopted a child myself and raised stepchildren who have been adopted.
10) What do you believe is the best course for the U.S. to take in Afghanistan and Iraq?
We need to fight terrorism aggressively and offensively on foreign soil. In Iran, it is time to leave. In Afghanistan, I support the president's policy.