Occupation: owner, Eagle's Market convenience store
Party affiliation: Republican
Political experience: current member of the Transit Commission and Board of Adjustment; volunteered on political campaigns for Charles Carter, Steve Metcalf, Ralph Campbell, Judge Jim Wynn, Judge Wanda Bryant and Dan Blue, assisted in November elections, 2000 to present
Endorsements: None listed
1) How much money have you raised for your campaign, and who are your top three donors and how much did each give?
Top three: J. Neal Jackson, $1,200; Don Yelton, $200; Buncombe County Men's Republican Group, $100
2) What resolution would you like to see for the I-26 connector?
Whichever plan is chosen, there will be winners and losers with this connector. I also know that this discussion has been going on for nearly 20 years now. The ultimate decision lies with the DOT, but we can make recommendations. I wish the project gets started so we can move forward.
3) What is the best route for addressing the city's homelessness problem?
The best route is understanding, education and action. Most people do not want to be homeless. We need to offer counseling and treatment for addiction and educate our homeless that it is alright to improve your quality of life with job training, coaching and support.
4) Should height limits be implemented for new construction in the city? Why or why not?
No. I believe in the rights of property owners. If you take a close look at our downtown there are a variety of old and new buildings working in harmony.
5) What oversight should Council delegate to other boards/commissions with the adoption of the Downtown Master Plan?
6) Should Council reconsider a development buffer around Pack Square Park? Why or why not?
No. Once again, I believe in the rights of property owners.
7) Should Asheville be allowed to increase or dedicate part of its room tax to make infrastructure improvements? Why or why not?
Yes. Our city is running a deficit and needs more funds. We live in a tourist town, and they use our infrastructure, and tourists are not going to mind or even notice a few cents' increase. The tourists are going to visit regardless, and we need to improve our infrastructure.
8) What associations or business dealings would cause you to ask to be recused for conflict of interest if they came up in Council deliberation?
9) What question would you like to ask to any other candidate and to whom would you ask it?
I believe all of the candidates have been asked enough questions to know where they stand.
10) Which other candidates will you be voting for?
J. Neal Jackson, J. Neal Jackson and J. Neal Jackson. I just want you to understand that who I vote for is my private and personal decision.