Name: RL Clark
Party affiliation, if any: Republican
Political experience: N.C. Senate, 1994-98 (Buncombe, Madison, Yancey, McDowell, Burke counties)
Endorsements: Asheville Tea PAC, N.C. Right To Life
1) How much money have you raised for your campaign?
Who are your top three donors, and how much has each contributed?
Buncombe County Action Club – $1,500
Retiree – $1,000
2) What most distinguishes you from your opponent?
My 27 years as owner/operator of small retail businesses creating jobs, and my two terms in the state Senate representing five diverse counties.
3) What are your top three legislative priorities?
• New jobs creation;
• educational reforms and return control to local level;
• constitutionally limited government with fiscal responsibility based on sound free-market principles.
4) Do you support authorizing Asheville to raise its hotel-room tax?
Not with a state budget deficit approaching $4 billion July 1, 2011.
5) What methods do you favor for dealing with the state budget crunch, and how would they affect the Asheville area?
Setting priorities for essential state budget needs and not funding nonessential requests.
6) Do you favor changing state law governing involuntary annexation? If so, how?
Yes! A vote of the people to be annexed and passed by a two-thirds majority.
7) North Carolina had more people on its AIDS Drug Assistance Program waiting list last year than all other states combined. Do you favor fully funding this program?
Same response as answer to question No. 5 above.
8) What's your position on legalizing medical marijuana?
No, until more medical research justifies its positive benefit.
9) Do you favor providing benefits for same-sex domestic state employees?
No. They are not recognized by state law.
10) Do you support state assistance to local municipalities? If so in what form?
No! Not with the impending state budget deficit approaching $4 billion in a current total $18.5 billion budget.