Early this morning, the Asheville Fire Department responded to a three-alarm fire at the Turtle Creek apartments. More than 50 firefighters, including several from other fire departments, battled the blaze for over an hour. According to the AFD, 31 people lost their homes, but no one was killed or injured in the fire.
Photos courtesy of Asheville Fire Department
An announcement from the AFD notes that the fire broke out around 2 a.m. due to unattended cooking.
“The fire spread through a common attic area and has severely damaged several apartment units within the structure,” the report reads. “The Asheville Fire Department was assisted by Skyland Fire Department, Buncombe County Rescue Squad, Reynolds Fire Department and Fairview Fire Department at the scene. Units from Riceville Fire Department assisted with standby crews within the City of Asheville to assist with further emergencies.”
Three people were rescued from the burning building, with no reported injuries. The American Red Cross is assisting the residents displaced by the fire.
— David Forbes, senior news reporter