The Asheville Civic Center Commission has slated a public meeting for Monday, Jan. 28. Topics will include discussion of a new ACC director, smoking in the arena, and a status report on repairs, among other items.
The meeting will take place in the center’s upstairs banquet hall from 4 to 5:30 p.m.
Here’s the agenda:
• Welcome – Bill Lack, ACC Commission Vice Chair
• Introduction of guests
• Review and approval of minutes from previous meeting
• To/From City Council—Jan Davis, City Councilman
Reappointment of Davis as our liaison
• Old Business
1. Discussion of the appointment of a new ACC Director—city staff
2. News from the Performing Arts community
3. Status of Ice
4. Status of Roof Repair Project—city staff
Operations Report—city staff
• New Business
1. Smoking in the arena at crowded ACC events, city staff
2. Presentation regarding basketball tournament
UNCA may be hosting the Big South Women Conference tournament in 2009 and 2010 and wants to have the tournament at the Civic Center. UNCA is
seeking support from the City to help sponsor the tournament. Jan [Davis] is going to invite someone from UNCA to speak to the Civic Center Commission asking for the Commission support in bringing tournament to Asheville. The City Council voted to support this venture on Tuesday Jan. 22.
• Input from guests
— Hal L. Millard, staff writer