Fire dept: natural gas caused Hillcrest fire

The explosion and fire that consumed a building in Hillcrest Apartments yesterday was caused by natural gas, Asheville Fire Chief Scott Burnette told Xpress today. Investigators have yet to determine if the blaze was an accident or arson.

“What we know right now is that the fire was caused by natural gas,” Burnette said. “We’re still determining how that was released — accidentally or intentionally — and what exactly would explain the fire.”

Reports that the fire was caused by an exploding methamphetamine lab were completely without evidence, Burnette confirmed.

“That may have come from a 911 call from one of the initial passersby,” he noted. “But we have found absolutely nothing that would indicate that is the case.”

The heat of the wreckage, along with difficult weather conditions, has slowed investigators, but Burnette expected to have a clearer idea of the fire’s cause tomorrow.

—David Forbes, staff writer

SHARE

Before you comment

The comments section is here to provide a platform for civil dialogue on the issues we face together as a local community. Xpress is committed to offering this platform for all voices, but when the tone of the discussion gets nasty or strays off topic, we believe many people choose not to participate. Xpress editors are determined to moderate comments to ensure a constructive interchange is maintained. All comments judged not to be in keeping with the spirit of civil discourse will be removed and repeat violators will be banned. See here for our terms of service. Thank you for being part of this effort to promote respectful discussion.

One thought on “Fire dept: natural gas caused Hillcrest fire

  1. Jeff Fobes

    via RussBowenNews13: Hillcrest fire ruled arson, someone tampered with gas line, no arrest yet 9:40pm Wed, Nov 11

Leave a Reply

To leave a reply you may Login with your Mountain Xpress account, connect socially or enter your name and e-mail. Your e-mail address will not be published. All fields are required.