An excerpt from video shot at a February 19, 2009, PTA program at Sand Hill-Venable Elementary School is touching off debate on local and national media outlets. The video shows a part of the program, in which students were paying tribute to various American leaders throughout history, where students mention President Barack Obama and go on to chant slogans from his campaign.
Critics are charging that the performance was “Obama indoctrination,” while school officials say the video is taken out of context and being used for political purposes.
Click on the image below to watch the video.
Additional resources as the story spreads:
• An article in today’s Asheville Citizen-Times gives an overview of local reactions.
• A letter defending the performance from Buncombe County Schools’ director of communications.
• Click on the image below to see discussion of the video from right-leaning Fox News Network.
• The CBS News blog Political Hotsheet covers the story here.
• And here’s an analysis from the left-leaning watchdog group Media Matters for America.
— Jon Elliston, managing editor