These Twitter dispatches about today’s WNC Rail Corridor meeting come from Asheville Area Chamber Governmental Relations Manager Jeff Joyce (@avlbizvoice):
• Headed to Black Mountain for a WNC Rail Corridor meeting at Phil’s BBQ. Working to bring passenger rail back to AVL
• WNC Rail Corridor mtg. Group is made up from towns with potential stops, from Salisbury to Avl, including Blk mtn, Valdesse, Conover, Morganton
• NCDOT rail division present. Gave update on stimulus funds applied for. Conover gave update on its new station and grants received
• Report: Norfolk Southern open to passenger rail. Improvements needed on track. Additional funding needed. Tough situation with current economics
• Members of WNC Rail Corridor feel push from Avl City Leadership is key to passenger rail coming back to WNC.
• [Members] hope to engage new city council members to push passenger rail as a priority in AVL. Frustration with lack of interest with current city leaders
— Brian Postelle, staff writer