How healthy is WNC?
The County Health Rankings are a key component of the Mobilizing Action Toward Community Health (MATCH) project.
You can compare county health rankings in NC with county-level poverty data here. (.pdf file)
The Citizen Times says:
- “Well-being survey yields mixed bag“
- “A city-by-city look at how Americans feel about their jobs, their health, their lives and their futures“
- Opinion:”We shouldn’t panic over well-being rank, but we should act“
There has also been some discussion on NC hospitals’ charity responsibilities:
- NC Health Access Coalition: Hospitals should offer 100% discount to patients earning up to 200% of Fed poverty level
- In Depth – How Charitable are North Carolina Hospitals? (NC Justice Center)
Did you know NC has doubled fines for workplace safety & health violations for young workers?
In the news:
- NC to receive $5.4M for Federal ‘prevention and wellness initiative’
- NC Health Officials Warn Of Norovirus-Related Outbreak (aka “stomach flu”)
- ‘WCU Employee Wellness Task Force’ encourages faculty, staff to try online nutrition, exercise tool
- Asheville company proposes to build housing, provide mental health services for homeless veterans in Fayetteville
There’s a new Asheville center that helps people who suffer from migraines.
And from the WNC Health & Wellness Calendar
- YWCA of Asheville tweets:
- Center for Massage & Natural Health ‘Career Days‘ open house & workshop (2/20)
- Workshop addresses problems of aging (2/25)
- Seminar: “Fearless Medicine: Taking the Fear Out of Medical Treatment for Children (3/4)
- NC’s High Hampton Inn plans Wellness Week (5/13-5/16)
“Our popular triathlon training group starts soon! All levels welcome. Find out more by calling 254-7206 x 213”
“We are offering a Red Cross Lifeguard Training Class starting March 3″
- WUNC asks: Are NC mental health cuts shortsighted? (audio)
- WNCAP looking for volunteers for ‘Dining Out for Life’ fundraiser
We invite you to stop by http://wncwellness.com and check out our WNC Wellness Dialogs or suggest news ideas.