Letters: Stop littering and save our planet!

Graphic by Lori Deaton

Editor’s note: The following letters by two local students were submitted jointly.

Littering has corrupted our planet for many, many years. We have been killing animals and their habitats. One hundred million animals have died yearly by littering (theaseanpost.com/article/death-plastic-waste).

We are throwing trash out our windows; the trash is going in streams, which goes in a river and then the ocean. It kills turtles, dolphins, fish, seals and seabirds. When I see pictures of animals, and inside of them they have trash in their stomachs, it makes me think: Why are we not thinking about all the animals that are dying? They are thinking that the trash that we throw out our windows is food for them to eat, and this just makes me mad.

We need to help our planet with less littering, and that might make a little bit of an impact on our society.

— Lucille W.
Fifth grade
Franklin School of Innovation

If you litter, stop now and listen. You’re not only affecting everybody else, you’re affecting yourself. The earth’s diversity is dying because if you litter, when it rains, it washes in the sewers, and all the sewers lead to the oceans.

Animals eat the litter thinking it’s food and die. When I was trying to tell you all the sea animals that are corrupted by this, me and my research partner were sad and disappointed about what we saw. She has already told you about the trash in the animals’ stomachs. We should be very embarrassed of what we caused.

Did you know that global warming is also impacted by litter? Fourteen billion pounds of trash get dumped in the ocean a year (seastewards.org)!! If you stop littering, the world will be a better place.

— Phoebe W.
Fifth grade
Franklin School of Innovation


Thanks for reading through to the end…

We share your inclination to get the whole story. For the past 25 years, Xpress has been committed to in-depth, balanced reporting about the greater Asheville area. We want everyone to have access to our stories. That’s a big part of why we've never charged for the paper or put up a paywall.

We’re pretty sure that you know journalism faces big challenges these days. Advertising no longer pays the whole cost. Media outlets around the country are asking their readers to chip in. Xpress needs help, too. We hope you’ll consider signing up to be a member of Xpress. For as little as $5 a month — the cost of a craft beer or kombucha — you can help keep local journalism strong. It only takes a moment.

About Letters
We want to hear from you! Send your letters and commentary to letters@mountainx.com

Before you comment

The comments section is here to provide a platform for civil dialogue on the issues we face together as a local community. Xpress is committed to offering this platform for all voices, but when the tone of the discussion gets nasty or strays off topic, we believe many people choose not to participate. Xpress editors are determined to moderate comments to ensure a constructive interchange is maintained. All comments judged not to be in keeping with the spirit of civil discourse will be removed and repeat violators will be banned. See here for our terms of service. Thank you for being part of this effort to promote respectful discussion.

4 thoughts on “Letters: Stop littering and save our planet!

  1. henry

    Thank you both for your well written letters, emphasizing your concerns. Please stay active.

  2. I heart Aville

    Phoebe, I wish everyone in the world was as concerned about litter as you are. Unfortunately, as you know, that’s not the case.

    Did you know that up to 95% of plastic waste in the oceans comes from just 10 rivers? 8 of those are in Asia, and two are in Africa. America is responsible for some portion of the remaining 5%.

    If only there were more people like you in Asia and Africa discouraging people from littering. This video shows how little regard some countries have for littering the oceans with plastic waste. Thank goodness it’s not like that here in the US. By the way, that’s the Amazon River which isn’t even in the top 10 list.


Leave a Reply

To leave a reply you may Login with your Mountain Xpress account, connect socially or enter your name and e-mail. Your e-mail address will not be published. All fields are required.