Call from the mountains

As an Asheville native and an environmental science major at UNC-Chapel Hill, I have always loved state parks. In fact, my choice to major in environmental science branched from the experiences I had in state parks while growing up. From mountain biking in Bent Creek, to visiting Purchase Knob to participate in ozone research, to backpacking in Linville Gorge, I have come to learn that these precious places give our community and families more than we could ever hope to give back.

Every year [that] the Land and Water Conservation fund is renewed, a certain amount of money is used to fund the State Parks of North Carolina. In this year’s budget, Congress has proposed to direct 93 percent of those funds to other causes, leaving the State Parks with only 7 percent of its intended funds. Without that 93 percent, we cannot effectively protect our world-renowned, precious ecosystems from overdevelopment, pollution, and contamination. Without that 93 percent, families from around the country will be unable to experience the diversity and beauty that our mountains have to offer.

I’m urging everyone to call for full funding for our State Parks by contacting your local congressman. Only then can we give back our 100 percent.

— Susie Proctor

About Webmaster
Mountain Xpress Webmaster Follow me @MXWebTeam

Before you comment

The comments section is here to provide a platform for civil dialogue on the issues we face together as a local community. Xpress is committed to offering this platform for all voices, but when the tone of the discussion gets nasty or strays off topic, we believe many people choose not to participate. Xpress editors are determined to moderate comments to ensure a constructive interchange is maintained. All comments judged not to be in keeping with the spirit of civil discourse will be removed and repeat violators will be banned. See here for our terms of service. Thank you for being part of this effort to promote respectful discussion.

Leave a Reply

To leave a reply you may Login with your Mountain Xpress account, connect socially or enter your name and e-mail. Your e-mail address will not be published. All fields are required.