Dr. Robert S. Carroll founded Highland Hospital in 1904. Originally located on Haywood Street in downtown Asheville, it was first known as Dr. Carroll’s Sanitarium.
The bus shelters, located at both the north-and southbound-stops on Montford Ave. and Cullowhee Street, feature doubled-sided panels that provide an overview of four distinct aspects of the neighborhood’s history.
A series of events held March 10, including a benefit party featuring the Firecracker Jazz Band, honor of one of Asheville’s first resident celebrity artists. The celebration will help not only with raising funds for Aurora Studio & Gallery, but in fighting the stigma of mental illness.
The play depicting the life of Zelda Fitzgerald just before her death in the Highland Hospital fire of 1948.