- Asheville-based organizations Tranzmission, QORDS and COLAGE, in association with the Asheville Jewish Community Center, have collaborated to present the 15th annual local commemoration of Stonewall. All events are open to…The free day-long West Asheville music festival returns stronger than ever after a year hiatus.That wide-ranging musical approach means that the center's 80th anniversary season will include performances by classical pianist Jean-Yves Thibaudet (Friday, June 24), contemporary Christian singer-songwriter Amy Grant (Saturday, June 25)…The art of calligraphy takes center stage at a local event, on the campus of Warren Wilson College, from Saturday, June 25 to Sunday, July 2. There, approximately 275 participants…The US Cellular Center hosts three R&B veterans plus nine aspiring regional openers on Saturday, June 25.“Because HB2 focuses so much on transgender people, I felt it was important to create something that showed their transformation within a series of other transformations." says Heather Maloy, artistic…Toy Boat Community Art Space hosts experimental theatrical ensemble XOXO on Friday and Saturday, June 24 and 25.Hop in your pickup truck or smart car and head to The Millroom on Saturday, June 25, to hear three comedians' stereotype-squashing views on the South.The collective's debut album includes work that was contributed remotely, but contributing artists also reunited to record their alternative, psychedelic and sun-warped sounds together. The Mothlight hosts a release party…Deceased author Harry "Cuz" Bagley's son Rick will gift his dad's book to any attendee who makes a donation to three nonprofits at an upcoming fundraiser. Battery Park Book Exchange…
- At a recent workshop in Montana, the chef of Asheville's Curate and Nightbell joined culinary professionals from across the country in exploring ways to advocate for food waste reduction.With a new downtown space, chef John Fleer plans to connect local farmers with consumers, offer educational opportunities and promote discussions on food systems and policy.MG Road hosts a Persian feast to support Hadaya Toys, Coffee for Champions project partners with local coffee shops to raise money for Buncombe County Special Olympics, Corner Kitchen rolls…
- Sunburst Chef & Farmer will be one of 20 local farms welcoming the public to tour their operations and take home ultra-fresh food during ASAP’s annual farm tour.With technology developed for the video gaming industry, Mission Health is piloting a groundbreaking observation system designed to prevent costly patient falls. The Cerner Patient Observer allows technicians to watch…
- A wealth of special screenings feature Julian Price, Carl Schenck, Roger Howell, the WE DO Campaign and queer performance art.
- “The first city in the world that’s built around your family. Before we laid a brick, we laid plans for a clean, uncongested city of 40,000 on 3,500 acres of…North Carolina Waterfalls by Waynesville travel and nature writer/photographer Kevin Adams features 1,000 waterfall excursions, more than enough such attractions to keep weekend adventurers occupied for years to come.Rob Sebrell views Foundation as more than just a skatepark. "It's a sculpture garden of sorts," he says. "A public, creative space."
- "It is not that a flood of a certain magnitude will happen every 100 years, but rather that it has a 1 percent chance of occurring any year.""Instead of disappointing fans and costing many folks their income that depends on revenue from concerts in our state, [Dead & Company] provided needed funds for us to battle inequality…"The choice to wear shoes or not wear shoes should have no more impact on anyone else or any business than the choice to wear a hat or not wear…"As most of you may know, the sheriff is the most powerful official in Buncombe County, answering to no one but the voters.""Maybe we shouldn't worry too much about Donald Trump. We survived at least one racist maverick president.""Are you risking killing your dog by leaving it in a hot car?"