- This year, more than 35 performers will take the stage, and workshops are geared toward newcomers and old hats alike. (Aerial art with Sadie Hawkins and beginner ukulele with Mab,…The peace-bringing artist turns The Altamont Theatre into a space for serenity on Saturday, May 28.While 2016 class registration is closed, Black Mountain School is hosting visitor days and free public events. The next by-reservation date to visit the program is Saturday, May 28; Charlie…Paleface, the singer-songwriter who fronts a duo of the same name, has been working on a followup to the band’s 2011 release, One Big Party. The band will play some…The instrumental group features a unique lineup: guitar, plus a keyboardist who plays bass lines with his left hand, and a rotating roster of three drummers.Dissolving the barriers between maker and buyer, these artists open their doors to curious eyes on Saturday and Sunday, May 28 and 29, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.Minorcan and Eureka California open for the British rock trio at The Odditorium on Friday, May 27, at 9 p.m.Asheville Young Musicians Club has already raised $10,000 for Asheville Chamber Music Series, Asheville Area Piano Forum and Vision Nicaragua. The group will continue fundraising for the nonprofits through a…Frequent collaborators Caine McDonald and Patrick Dodd open Heath's release show, after which she'll perform with a full band at Asheville Music Hall on Friday, May 27.
- MANNA FoodBank prepares for its largest fundraising party of the year, the Blue Jean Ball; David Meesters leads a class on healthy digestion at Villagers; Arancini makes another transformation into…Five years ago, AVL Beer Week began — as many great things do — over a few locally crafted beers among friends. Developed as a means to support and promote…True to the range of liquid creativity set to pour at each booth, the ways in which each brewery gets ready for Beer City Festival and how their beers will…From opportunities to chat with brewers to making an IPA for a friend, nondrinking events dot the Beer Week schedule.While Beer Flavors 101 was developed to contribute an educational component to this year’s Asheville Beer Week festivities, the purpose of the event is to engage novices and experts alike…ALL WEEK Beer Cocktails at Top of the Monk Top of the Monk, downtown Top of the Monk will have a special menu of beer-infused cocktails designed for both beer…From five-course dinners to small-plate samplings, Western North Carolina chefs and brewers are pairing up their bites and brews
- Hendersonville invites garden enthusiasts to kick off the summer with the town's 23rd annual Garden Jubilee Festival on May 28-29 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Over 170 vendors will…Until he cared for his dying daughter two years ago, Said Osio could not have imagined having a conversation about death. As her caregiver, he realized, “There is a belief in…
- Mechanical Eye screens original VHS works from San Francisco's Artists' Television Access gallery and Frank Thompson's June directors course explores Orson Welles at Asheville School of Film.
- What would you do if you were given the chance to reimagine the American high school — and perhaps have your vision made real? The folks at West Asheville’s Rainbow…The city is seeking definition in its relationship with the busking community, and both buskers and businesses are speaking out about the issues that matter to them in hopes of…Energy activist Ned Ryan Doyle traveled to Utah as a member of an Asheville-based team focused on developing strategies for a cleaner energy future for WNC.The new Energy Innovation Task Force — which brings together representatives from electric utility Duke Energy, elected officials, the private sector, nonprofits and alternative energy providers — held its first…The 16th annual Mountain Sports festival is a marriage of music and sports that caters to participants and spectators alike. The festival village, located at Carrier Park, will feature bands,…
- "I'm confused about all the talk of this LGBT legislation. People should be free to choose any sandwich they want — lettuce, garlic, bacon and tomato is as good as…"In the coming election, the current failure of single-party rule must be reversed by a sensible vote to restore Democrat and Republican balance. Let’s all get out and vote!""There ought to be more than one recycling center to serve a city our size, but here's another idea — how about extending city curbside recycling to the many apartments…"Did any of them actually get inside the mansion to express their concerns about HB2 to the governor?""These personnel changes — and others we have recently announced — are part of a bigger picture as we move forward to address early childhood education, academic achievement and the…"Shame on you, ACS board: You should have asked us parents, taxpayers, the ones who have daily interactions with these amazing people, before you rip them from our children's lives.""Can someone explain to me how it changes the complexion of my neighborhood if a tourist parks in my gravel lot and enters the rear ADU building instead of entering…"Tattoos, though, aren’t the only thing every second person in Asheville seems to own. What about dogs?""This legislation negatively impacts the well-being of all North Carolinians."