- New York Times bestselling author, Wiley Cash, joins Xpress for our recurring feature on the life and literary works of Thomas Wolfe.Local comedian Morgan Marie revisits highlights from Best Medicine's first year.If you're a fan of local theater, Western North Carolina offers plenty of options.Studio A at Pink Dog Creative celebrates ten years. Plus, a festival celebrating Earl Scruggs; a local author's new book about her great-grandfather's Civil War experience; and more.
‘We need the Wolfe’: City and arts leaders discuss renovation options for Asheville’s shuttered auditoriumAsheville Mayor Esther Manheimer led a chorus of support for the 83-year-old city landmark, which was forced to close temporarily July 5 after its heating, ventilation and air conditioning units…
- Meherwan Irani opens Botiwalla in West Asheville. Plus, WNC wins at the NCRLA Chef Showdown; the 77th North Carolina Apple Festival; and more.
- Wildfires screen sunlight, affecting plants photosynthesis. Another downside of the fires is it can keep some gardeners inside just when their gardens need them. Find out how to garden safely…BeLoved Asheville co-director Amy Cantrell speaks with Xpress about the health impacts of housing insecurity, combatting isolation and her role as the architect of an intentional community.
- As the newest appointees to the Buncombe County Board of Elections, Stein, a registered Democrat, and Braine, a registered Republican, are both impressed with the security and organization of Buncombe’s…Haywood County home-schooler Celeste Riddle has a few reasons to be excited about her decision to take two classes at Pisgah High School this year. For one thing, she’s never…City Council approved two technical amendments to Asheville’s panhandling ordinance at its Aug. 22 meeting. It passed 6-1, with Council member Kim Roney as the single opposing vote.
- "Every four years at this time, I get very aggravated by the tendency of next year’s hopeless presidential elections to displace and suppress coverage of this year’s local elections, in…"WNC Physicians for Social Responsibility is working on Oppenheimer’s problem.""Celebrations like the International Day of Peace are efforts to overcome misunderstandings — not against people, but against misplaced fear, war-making, lack of awareness and experience.""Honeybees are best described as 'livestock' and, like so many other animal husbandry practices, are supplanting native species.""The end result will further dismantle public education, where learning is already under attack."