- Celia Verbeck shares a bill with Tennessee musicians Eve Maret and Dream Chambers and fellow Ashevillean Caroline Cronin at Revolve on Monday, Aug. 20.The renowned five-string picker and his fellow Blue Ridge Banjo Camp instructors perform Aug. 18 at the Brevard Music Center.In her new book 'Earth Works: Ceremonies in Tower Time,' Byron Ballard forecasts dark days ahead as patriarchy gasps its last breaths. But she also offers hope with practical strategies…The local writer-illustrator launches his new wordless novel Aug. 18 at Malaprop's.Southern Avenue formed after Ori Naftaly, who had a successful solo career in his native Israel, came to the U.S. to participate in the International Blues Challenge.Since getting together a year ago (some of the members had played together in other groups before their 10th birthdays), Uncle Kurtis has been booked at Soulshine, LEAF Downtown AVL,…Carmelo Pampillonio's audio installation opens Aug. 17 at Revolve.This will be Different Strokes! final show in The BeBe Theatre. The company is moving to a new space in the near future called The Downstage Performing Arts Center.The festivities — honoring the winners of this year’s Best Of survey and the Xpress readers who voted for said victors — will take place in the Meadow at Highland…The South Carolina natives play Isis Music Hall on Aug. 16.
- As Best of WNC voters noted, a few types of cuisine remain under- or unrepresented in Asheville's growing food scene.Good rum lends itself well to sipping as well as mixing in a classic or adventurous cocktail. “The versatility of rum is incredible,” says Leah Howard of H&H Distillery.The owners of Fairview's two breweries discuss the rewards and challenges of running a taproom just outside of Asheville.Eliada Farms Weeks kicks off Saturday, Aug. 18 at Sovereign Remedies. Also: Ben’s Tune Up hosts Slushie Fest; West Asheville Tailgate Market throws a block party; Haywood Street Congregation introduces…
- Impaired balance brings with it a higher risk of falling and all that a fall can entail. According to the National Council on Aging, falls are the No. 1 cause…Although Western North Carolina's small dairy farms face numerous challenges, the industry continues to be a robust contributor to the area's economy.
- Asheville AIA and the Fine Arts Theatre screen a documentary on a high school design program in Bertie County and more.
- In May 1927, work officially began on Beaucatcher Tunnel. Controversy and catastrophe would haunt the two-year project.Toybrary to launch toy-sharing bus Toys lost their zing? Looking for something new to play with? The Toybrary of Asheville will cut the ribbon on its ToyZazzle bus on Saturday,…Local farmers and manufacturers express concern about the impact retaliatory tariffs sparked by new Trump administration trade policies could have on their businesses.Perhaps your business needs startup capital to make your idea fly. Or maybe rubbing elbows with lawmakers will give you an edge. Opportunities for building business skills, attracting investment and…Some say The Steady Collective, Firestorm Books and Coffee, Kairos West Community Center and 12 Baskets Café have reduced the area’s safety by offering services to drug users and homeless…Although the exact footprint of the building is still under consideration, existing plans call for a first floor of businesses (16,000 square feet in total) topped by 26 efficiency, 93…Even as elected officials and county staff digested word of new indictments of former county employees released less than four hours before the regular meeting of the Buncombe County Board…
- "Especially, thank you for the illustration skills of Irene Olds and Brent Brown.""Bears are here. Act accordingly.""How did Waste Pro get a 10-year contract? Who, at the Buncombe County administration made that decision and why, in view of constant complaints?""Creating multi-income, multiuse developments and requiring affordable units in new multifamily developments is a much better way of solving this problem and maybe actually helping some folks along the way.""How unfortunate that those three standards appear to have been rejected by Mr. Mumpower and the administration he supports.""Yes, they are a nuisance when they get into our garbage, but they are just trying to survive in man’s world."