- Lack of mobility stemming from a debilitating spinal injury in 1999 has spurred Ray to raise funds to purchase a wheelchair-accessible van — an asset that would enable her continued…The group presents the third of four 2015 Sonata Series programs, reuniting Pan Harmonia co-founder and former Ashevillean Liz Austin with several musical colleagues from her past.“I feel like we’re ambassadors out there,” says singer and guitarist Ryan O’Keefe. “I love to say it on the microphone. The reaction is always like, ‘You’re from Asheville? I…On March 3, the first book from new publishing house, Orison Books — “a nonprofit literary press that focuses on work that engages the life of the spirit — goes…Americana singer-songwriter Chuck Brodsky swapped formal education for a musical pursuit all his own. Now, 11 albums later, the pianist-turned-guitarist has mastered the art of adorning his lyrical tales with…Long popular in indie havens like Austin, Texas, garage, surf and psych are now enjoying an upswing across the country. Teaming with Asheville booking agents Onward Indian Touring, Tiger Mountain…The project is that of sometimes soloist, sometimes bandleader Brendan Glasson, who shrinks and grows his lineup as needed to support his sweetly melancholic and orchestral songs.Different Strokes! Performing Arts Collective has never shied away from uncomfortable themes. In the last five years, the group brought activism to the stage while making a distinct impact on…
- Musky, earthy, floral, pungent, fruity, feral, elusive, captivating — these are but a few ways to describe Tuber melanosporum, otherwise known as sack of spores, the fruit of a fungus…Latin fare is everywhere in Asheville, but veering off the beaten path can yield some flavorful rewards.Cooking classes in Clyde, new management at Stonebowl, big changes for Tupelo Honey and a Whole Foods event celebrating a favorite Italian cheese.Pisgah hits double digits, Sierra Nevada brings on the burly brews, Highland's beer gets musical and more.
- “Dowsing dates back to the earliest times,” says Brian Crissy, vice president of the Appalachian Chapter of the American Society of Dowsers. The group will host The Spring Conference of…Interested in having a conversation about what’s going on in health care over a cup of coffee or tea? You can tune into Health Care Café, a radio show hosted…
- Xpress sat down with Jane Hatley, western regional director of Self-Help Credit Union, who says Asheville's local economy stands out as a positive, entrepreneurial role model for economic development.Hatley's intersecting passions, which hinge on promoting local-mindedness and “the idea that all of us together form this economy,” led her to organize the Bringing It Home economic conference.From Ed Whitfield's keynote speech, "A Logical New Approach to Community Development," to a panel on sources for local funding, there's something for everyone at the March 18 Bringing It…All are invited to attend a new conference in Asheville, Bringing It Home: Building a Local Economy for Everyone. The event will be held Wednesday, March 18, from 8:30 a.m.…The interactive forum will explore cutting-edge opportunities for strengthening Western North Carolina’s economy, making the oft-daunting topic of collective prosperity intelligible, applicable and, dare we say it, enjoyable for presenters…The city's local push has transformed from mere trend to full-fledged movement, a move that now seems natural, but how did local businesses get whipped into such a unified front?
- I realize that the Mountain Xpress has a mission to publish “alternative” information which is often excluded from more mainstream media outlets. Yet the article in the latest issue on stone…Thank you for your great article about Gary Sizer’s thru-hike on the Appalachian Trail, or AT for short [Tales From the Trail, Feb. 18, Xpress]. I’d like to add a…I first discovered Publix grocery stores while visiting Florida for Thanksgiving with my family. I always found the customer service to be outstanding, and the variety and cost of food…Let me tell you about Ducatis in the big city [“Leave Your Big-city Driving Habits at Home,” Feb. 18, Xpress]. The drivers “SMOKE YOU.” On the freeway, they approach you…For quite some time, Ashevilleans have been operating under the assumption that we know ourselves, but Craigslist reminded me that we are a community of collaborators. At a cursory glance,…