- The third annual "Of Time and the River" art show and gala will be held at Zealandia Friday, Oct. 21 from 6-9 p.m. The event will benefit the nonprofit RiverLink,…Brooklyn-based Nada Surf has been called an indie-rock band and a power-pop group. Drummer Ira Elliot is less concerned with how the group is labeled than he is getting in…Join in the celebration: Plan a long weekend of studio-hopping, a self-guided exhibition tour or a visit to a craft fair (or three).For this year’s American Craft Week, organizers are highlighting emerging artists in Rising Stars, an online exhibition featuring 30 craftspeople under the age of 30. The Asheville Area Arts Council…The play Tzakbu: Queen of the Maya, based on these historical events, is coming to Western North Carolina. Performances will be held at Western Carolina University’s Bardo Arts Center Theatre…Yarn headlines the eighth annual Barnaroo, which takes place at Franny's Farm from Friday, Sept. 30 to Sunday, Oct. 2.Though the subject matter comes from tricky emotions and real talk, Ridenhour’s songs are far from downers. Instead, his writing is pop-savvy and smart; his performances are dynamic, with hooky…Bascom Lamar Lunsford Festival celebrates its 49th year of championing and preserving Southern Appalachian traditions at Mars Hill University on Saturday, Oct. 1.New Mountain hosts the eighth annual, family friendly event for bike and car enthusiasts on Saturday, Oct. 1.The interdisciplinary performance is at Weaverville Yoga Studio on Friday, Sept. 30, at 7.30 p.m.Asheville GreenWorks' upcoming fundraiser, which features dancing and barbecuing, takes place at Asheville Outdoor Center on Thursday, Sept. 29.
- Roasted turkey and pumpkin pie still seem a long way down the road, but preorders are already going fast for locally raised holiday food items.Pop-up events allow restaurants and other venues to make creative and profitable use of their spaces during off hours. But Asheville business owners also use the concept to help budding…Downtown's Iron Hen Café holds its grand opening, The Vegan Experience opens at The Block off Biltmore, Local Provisions hosts a French wine dinner and Folkmoot focuses on Middle Eastern…
- Now in its third year, Garlic Fest will run from noon to 6 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 1 on Asheville's South Slope. The event will offer opportunities to sample garlic…Fermented foods have a variety of health benefits, including improved digestion and a stronger immune system . At a recent fermentation workshop at the Organic Growers Conference, Sandor Katz taught…Blues legend Dr. Mac Arnold, who has performed with James Brown, Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker, headlined a fundraising concert for mental health care at Thrive's fifth annual fundraiser…
- Frank Thompson kicks off a monthlong seminar on horror films and Harvest Records teams with The Grail to screen a doc on Sharon Jones.
Asheville LGBTQ community to celebrate progress, call for change at Blue Ridge Pride Festival on Oct. 1Author, transgender activist and newcomer to Asheville Tina Madison White reflects on the state of the Pride movement in 2016. White is the director of operations for Blue Ridge Pride…Citizen activists, members of Asheville’s Tree Commission and city officials are exploring the possibility of increased oversight on how trees are managed within the city limits. But with a lack…
- "She supports programs that improve school climate and enhance learning at all levels of education, including preschool, community colleges and continuing education.""Considering the amount of cars that travel Murdock, the narrowness of the street and the residents who live here, I ask the city to lower our speed limit, too.""Sadly, what she experienced is a Medicare requirement that hospitals are forced to comply with even though we know it isn’t the best for patient care.""From a patient’s perspective, it is very difficult to intelligently discuss insurance issues while on mind-altering medications and struggling to breathe.""EVs use so little energy that even profit-driven businesses like Ingles, Earth Fare and Whole Foods can give the juice away for free, just to attract customers into their stores."'I urge everyone who has a fond memory of the beach, like me, to call on the president to block seismic testing in the Atlantic.'"I share her shock and distress in the depths of my soul.""Behind my car, a gigantic, mint-condition 1988 blue Cadillac dwarfed the grim octogenarian driver, who sat staring straight ahead, clutching the steering wheel.""We can’t fight negativity with an angrier, shriller negativity."