- This year the festival has gone from four nights to five, beginning with a two-night launch party at Highland Brewing Co. on Tuesday and Wednesday, Aug. 9 and 10. The…Now the longest-running folk festival in the country, it celebrates its 89th anniversary this year with performances — different each night — at the Diana Wortham Theatre on Thursday, Friday…Both artists' work will be featured in Woolworth Walk's FW Front Gallery throughout the month of August, and their opening reception takes place Friday, Aug. 5.To make it in the post-label world of today's music industry, artists have to supplement their musical prowess with an understanding of how to promote that music.American Folk Art presents Ali's retrospective exhibit from Aug., 4-24, with an opening reception on Friday, Aug. 5.Performances of the musical are at Magnetic 375 on Friday-Sunday, Aug. 5-7, and Thursday-Sunday, Aug. 11-14, at various times.Cross will play from his stripped-down solo album at Isis Restaurant and Music Hall on Saturday, Aug. 6.
- Cheese plates are as adaptable and unique as the chefs and restaurants that prepare them. From the flavors of the cheeses and accompanying items to the aesthetics of the presentation,…It’s been awhile, but it looks like another restaurant will finally open in the King James building on Charlotte Street. The space’s previous occupant, the beloved neighborhood eatery and bar King James Public House, was…"I wanted an excuse to play with seafood," says Sarah Cousler, creator of Dive, a seafoodcentric pop-up dinner series happening in the Remington Room at Buxton Hall Barbecue.
- Helios Warriors' fundraiser kicks off with a group motorcycle ride on the parkway and ends with a party at Ole Shakey's. The activities take place on Sunday, Aug. 7.
- Local filmmaker Paul Schattel's indie noir Quiet River makes its Asheville debut Aug. 4 at the Fine Arts Theatre.
- When she was 27, Asheville resident Carol Hubbard survived a traumatic brain injury that nearly left her paralyzed. Back then, doctors wouldn’t recommend physical or speech therapy. “I couldn’t talk,…To meet growing power demand, Duke Energy says it will need to build three new electrical substations close to downtown over the next ten years. The city is rushing to…Funding from Buncombe County and the state is going toward the continuing fight against the hemlock woolly adelgid. As part of the effort new predator beetles are being released and…Human trafficking often occurs in wealthy or relatively wealthy areas where there’s demand, access to major highways and an airport, says Mamie Adams. Asheville fits the bill, and a new…
- "One possible response might be citizen-organized exit polls as our only way of knowing if the official vote counts are true or not.""Educating in a nonthreatening way is what will help people understand each other better. I am proud of Asheville's openness, support and stand on these important issues.""Asheville has too much of a legacy of racism. Please Mountain Xpress, help this mostly white community face up to the neglect of our oppressed neighbors.""The public needs a better understanding of the challenges the police face daily — and the police need to show greater empathy for the people they’re sworn to protect.""When it comes to a point that the Asheville police can't protect the public without backlash, then what do you want? "