- Through her art, actress, muse and model Patti D’Arbanville tells many stories. She can often be found honing her craft at Tryon Arts and Crafts School; she’s now a resident…“Originally the theme was death and judgement,” says Parish of the album that would become Undertaker Please Drive Slow. He’ll release it with a show at The Grey Eagle on…Author and illustrator Jan Brett will give a reading and sign copies of the book at Vance Elementary School on Wednesday, Nov. 30.The group — named No. 1 Alternative Band in WNC by Xpress readers this year — has scheduled a hometown show at the Salvage Station on Saturday, Nov. 26, to…The runway production will showcase urban and casualwear in men’s sizes 3x to 10x.They recently performed the debut of "Roan Mountain Suite," their latest commission, in Bristol, Tenn. The trio return to Isis Music Restaurant & Music Hall on Friday and Saturday, Nov.…Other local acts like DJ Marley Carroll and Hustle Souls join the bill for FRITZgiving at Asheville Music Hall on Friday, Nov. 25TRiG returns for his second show at The Orange Peel with fellow local artists Trip Gang, Deelayne, Leequan, Lazz and YPC Darius on Friday, Nov. 25.For supporters of the Standing Rock movement, there are multiple ways to get involved without leaving Asheville.
- With her new cookbook, Appalachian Appetite, local chef and author Susi Gott Séguret explores Appalachian cuisine with a focus on the people and music of Madison County.From dry-cured turkey to vegan mac and cheese to Caribbean coconut rum drinks, some of Asheville's most creative chefs talk about favorite Thanksgiving foods that range from the classic to…The historic downtown space will shift from dinner theater and vintage decor to Caribbean food and and island theme.Derek Bullard was a fan of Smoothie King long before he became a franchisee. As the former owner of a healthcare company that assisted children and adolescents with mental health…
- Traditional Chinese medicine uses cupping as a conjoint modality with acupuncture. Now massage therapists are using the technique and creating alternative, safer methods of using cups for healing.
- The Halloween candy is probably gone. Rot has set in on the jack-o’-lanterns. The ghosts, goblins and other graveyard lawn decor have been broken down, boxed up and put to…As a very dry fall moves toward winter, municipalities, officials, scientists, farmers and citizens all ponder the deepening effects of the drought in Western North Carolina.
- "However, I have gotten some funny looks when I order the mighty meaty pizza with vegan cheese.""If we all do our part, it could make a big difference. ... I'd also like to invite other readers to share their ideas and ways to conserve water.""And I will not apologize for protesting, because the ability to dissent, the First Amendment's guarantee of the right to speak out against the government, is what makes America great."“I am hoping the grassroots connection between Asheville and Haiti, and helping spread and share the love, will become Asheville’s best export,” says Ashleigh Stoia, Consider Haiti’s public relations representative.…"A business that does not pay a living wage is simply ignoring part of the true costs of its operations and leaving the rest of us to pick up the…