- While musicians with alter egos are nothing new, a full-band alter ego is. We're not talking stage names here, but rather a made-up booking agent: "He's British. He wears a…Where do you go when you aspire to more than Western North Carolina can offer? For these four former Ashevilleans, the answer was Los Angeles.Initial tracking for We All Stay Hungry took place in Asheville at Sound Temple Recording Studios, with the bulk of recording, overdubbing, mixing and mastering completed at Eagle Room. A…If only Matt and Kim had a dollar for every calorie burned onstage. With the release of album New Glow on Tuesday, April 7, the strikingly energetic dance pop duo…Place The Honeycutters and Foul Mouth Jerk side by side and one can’t help but notice their differences. The former play country roots music while the latter raps and, unless…The Asheville affiliate will celebrate Earth Day and the one-year anniversary of the store's own expansion by holding the fifth annual Fair Trade Fashion Show.Lowland Hum, composed of indie folk musicians Daniel and Lauren Goans, has been churning out sweet and artsy material since the couple's 2012 nuptials.
- The shy return of baby greens — kale, dandelion greens, watercress — elates our salad plates. And local chefs perk up as well.By borrowing the flash-chilling process from beer brewers, Waking Life Espresso co-owners Jared Rutledge and Jacob Owens say they've perfected the art of iced-coffee. Now the two are making strides…Most new breweries want to talk about their beer. But for Joe Dinan and Lisa McDonald, the team behind Sanctuary Brewing, it’s all about something else: the animals.
- A new 24-hour, urgent-care center and crisis facility for mental health and addiction treatment in Asheville aims to do more than place a Band-Aid on the alarming number of drug…Asheville Area Habitat for Humanity wraps up National Volunteer Appreciation Week with a fundraiser for its house construction and home repair programs.
- Lisi Russell — widow of British filmmaker Ken Russell (Tommy, Altered States) — will be in Asheville next week to introduce a special Asheville Film Society screening of her husband's…• Downtown Winston-Salem plays home to the 2015 RiverRun International Film Festival from Thursday, April 16, through Sunday, April 26. Founded in Brevard in 1998 by actor Vincent D’Onofrio (Full…
- Some of Mother Earth News’ earliest “Mothers” — whose roots go back to the 1970s and 1980s — got together this past Sunday at the Mother Earth News Fair, which…It’s no secret that the Christian and LGBTQ communities have often found themselves at odds — each a thorn in the other’s side. But the Out to the Nations conference…In an ongoing effort to connect those dispersed communities, the Appalachian Studies Association held its 38th annual conference last month in Johnson City, Tenn. The one-of-a-kind event unites scholars and…"In collaboration with the city of Asheville’s Office of Sustainability and Lenoir-Rhyne University’s Center for Graduate Studies of Asheville, I am conducting a survey of commercial waste-management practices in downtown…Local sustainable builders and the Western North Carolina Green Building Council reached an important milestone last month with the certification of the 1,000th Green Built North Carolina home in the…Tensions ran high at the Buncombe County Board of Commissioners’ April 7 meeting, as board members butted heads over a proposed policy change concerning closed sessions.
- "I like your [movie] reviews and comments, but it would be nice if you also had a link to where the movie is playing. "" I noticed that both the cover designer and photographer were credited, but nowhere could I find a caption about the photo subject.""Writing this as an informed medical consumer and also as a practicing pharmacist in North Carolina, I can attest to the effectiveness of EDTA IV chelation.""This is to alert your readers to a performance far above what is commonly available. The N.C. Stage Company is putting on An Iliad through April 19.""Triple kudos to the city's Transportation Department!"If Rip Van Winkle had gone to sleep in the pristine little village of Asheville back in the 1930s and woke up today, he’d have to a shot of white…With the iconic, 118-year-old obelisk set to begin a restoration process this month (and renewed examination of the native son/former Civil War governor for which it is named), here are…