- The story of the Bristol, Tennessee-based Annabelle’s Curse begins, as so many band origin stories do, in the vicinity of a college campus. “I had a mutual friend who invited…There is one place where the holidays work out perfectly (or perfectly imperfectly): on the stage. And this year, local theater companies are pulling out the stops.Sponsoring organization Odyssey Community School hosts the three-round literary throw-down, which benefits charities of the winners’ choosing, on Saturday, Dec. 5, from 7-9:30 p.m.Taking inspiration from Alice in Wonderland, Christine Garvin and her troupes Les Femmes Mystique and Les Filles Charme present The Twelve Days of Alice’s Winter Ashevilleland, which debuts Saturday, Dec.…The free semiannual festival is at Pack Place (weather permitting) and Asheville Art Museum Sunday, Dec. 6, from 1-6 p.m.Adrienne Ammerman will perform songs from her debut album, The Hunt, at The Crow and Quill Friday, Dec. 4. The show includes performances by local experimental artists Lush Agave and…Laura Blackley and the Darnell Boys open for Resonant Rogues, whose homecoming set will include drums by Mattick Frick, at the Mothlight Friday, Dec. 4, at 9 p.m.
Conscious party: Free Planet Radio to perform at Hadaya Toys’ fundraiser for Syrian refugee childrenThe candlelit evening will also feature photos, spoken word and several short video presentations depicting previous aid trips taken by Hadaya’s founders; a silent auction of gift cards to local…A multi-generational group of local female fiddlers share the stage for the showcase at Broyhill Chapel on the Mars Hill University campus, Friday, Dec. 4.
- Food trucks are a popular part of Asheville's culinary culture. But considerations including local regulations, increasing competition, a fluctuating customer base and even the weather conspire to cause growing pains…Local businesses have some unique ways to please the foodies on your holiday shopping list.After a name change and many months of planning, Asheville's newest brewpub is set to take flight this month on the South Slope.
- Workplace health initiatives are cropping up in Western North Carolina. Large hospital systems such as Mission Health and Park Ridge, as well as business owners and organizations like the Western…
- As development pressure increases all over Asheville, the historic African-American enclave of Shiloh remains vigilant about protecting its residential character. One recent showdown over zoning demonstrated that Shiloh's community plan,…The city-owned lot facing the U.S. Cellular Center and the Basilica of St. Lawrence is more than a political hot potato for the residents of the Battery Park and Vanderbilt…With a primary election less than four months away, North Carolina officials are scrambling to get ready for a controversial state law requiring photo IDs at the polls, even as…Blue Ridge Food Ventures is planning its annual holiday market, including a smorgasbord of locally made products that are ripe for gifting. Meanwhile, West Asheville gets a new ice cream…There is no shortage of holiday events in Western North Carolina in the coming weeks! Asheville has everything ranging from holiday craft shows to volunteering opportunities to theater productions. In…The 60-day Give!Local campaign is over halfway completed. We are excited to have over 130 donors, with the average donation being $57. The largest donation was $1020. There will be…
- "Let’s preserve Asheville before we destroy it.""The amendment — badly worded, hurtful and ultimately fruitless — foolishly tried to make gay marriage “triply illegal” despite the fact that the Defense of Marriage Act was about to…