- UNC Asheville and the Asheville Area Art Council are currently in the early stages of renovating two unaffiliated buildings. Though both stand empty for the time being, excitement echoes in…At Lex 18, the gilded walls will be hung with banners featuring the house sigils of all the powerful lords and ladies of Westeros (the setting of “Game of Thrones”).…The band's farewell show, which will include new material and personal stories between numbers, takes place in Isis Restaurant and Music Hall's upstairs lounge on Wednesday, April 27.The event, now in its eighth year, is held at Blue Ridge Community College in Flat Rock on Friday, April 22, and Saturday, April 23. Readers, writers and fans of…In its second year, the festival features local improv groups Reasonably Priced Babies, No Regets, Blacklist Improv and The OxyMorons. Shows run Thursday-Saturday, April 21-23.Western North Carolina is home to a number of Earth Day-related festivities and programs. Here's a rundown of some of the most notable events.Kicking off the band's spring tour is a hometown show with Fashion Bath and Maddie Shuler at Asheville Music Hall on Friday, April 22.The Indian-American (or "hyphenated American") comedian makes his Asheville debut when his How Not To Fit In Tour stops at The Altamont Theatre on Thursday, April 21.
- What does a catchphrase like “sustainable tourism” mean here in Western North Carolina? How do you make it work at the ground level? Local businesses, organizations and public officials weigh…As a vegan organization, Brother Wolf Animal Rescue is unique in its field.The conundrum over the chicken or the egg is of little interest in Asheville's food scene. The issue faced by local restaurants and chefs is which egg to use? Chicken,…Matt Addis says he started dreaming of opening a brewery almost immediately after he brewed his first beer. Now that dream is about to become a reality as he and Jonathan Myers prepare…
- After a traumatic injury, there is a physical, emotional, and spiritual process associated with recovery, and that is the process of finding your “new normal.” This is more than just…
- The Fine Arts Theatre hosts a Works in Progress screening, the Asheville Jewish Film Festival announces the titles for its spring film series and Transplanting gets its UK debut.
- Editor’s note: The next session, “Social Activism and Social Agencies in the 1980s,” takes place Wednesday, June 29, from 6-7:30 p.m. In the 1980s, Asheville was a smaller community, and…(Go to the bottom of this article for a listing of local tailgate markets) With springtime and warmer weather finally underway here in the mountains comes the opportunity to head…An upcoming wine tasting fundraiser hosted by Asheville Sister Cities International aims to strengthen local bonds with the French town of Saumur. The event is at MetroWines on Sunday, April…With an annual economic impact of $2.6 billion, tourism is a critical industry in Western North Carolina. But politicians and local residents are increasingly asking whether the tourism industry is…“These efforts really are about protecting places for all Americans and for future generations,” notes Brent Martin of The Wilderness Society. The leaders of the national parks movement, he maintains,…The founders of Alchemy aim to make classical Chinese medicine part of daily life; The Community Table plans an Empty Bowl fundraiser to sustain its operations; Chef Rhabb Seymour of…Leisure sport enthusiasts will have the chance to be king of cornhole, dominator of disc golf or the beast of bocce ball. Hall Fletcher Elementary will transform its space into…
- "It appears that the chefs create menu items that look good on paper, but they forget that the most important thing is that the flavors of the food need to…"I ask that everyone who is directly affected and not directly affected use their voice and speak up, because until we do, we will live in the world with many…"This law states that it is now legal to discriminate against LGBT+ people for no reason other than their sexual or gender orientation.""There are so many people, not only transgender but of many other minorities, who may be fired from their jobs, kicked out of their houses, and otherwise discriminated against just…"As to the religious aspect [of HB2], might I remind you that the 13th and 14th amendments to the Constitution forbade states (which are signatory) from passing such (specifically, and…"To ignore the positive things that have occurred in our history is an injustice. Sadly, it seems, most people today want to turn everything into a racial issue.""What message are we really giving to all of our city residents? That only white people count?""Should we change the name of the Lincoln Memorial and the many other buildings and monuments that pay tribute to the great men and women of their time?""This program can easily cut individual energy use by 15 percent, saving homeowners hundreds of dollars a year.""I support her efforts to end this reverse Robin Hood policy of stealing from the poor and giving to the rich corporations.""This bill is not a step toward privacy and comfort, but millions of steps backward, toward a world that encourages hate, prejudice and inequity.""Actually, this bill is in a way directed at every single person who lives in North Carolina. Discrimination of any kind applies to every one of us who lives here.""Like so many other regressive social engineering laws, this one is built on a complete fabrication, a lie."