- The Indian Village is right down the road from the Museum of the Cherokee Indian, and it is designed to show visitors what life in a traditional Cherokee village would…Funds raised benefit GreenWorks’ Youth Environmental Leadership Program, an outreach initiative that provides young adults ages 16-19 with environmental career exploration opportunities.The Flood Gallery Fine Arts Center launches its Black Mountain location with an exhibition of Phil Kurz's artwork and writing on April 14.Events take place Thursday-Sunday, April 12-15, at UNC Asheville, Malaprop’s and the Lenoir-Rhyne University's Asheville campus.The group's eighth annual market, featuring guest potters from around the Southeast and beyond, is set for April 14 at Marshall High Studios.Abrianna Brown’s forthcoming album, Dysthymia, slated for a September release, focuses on themes of depression and anxiety. “It’s forced me to think about these topics that I don’t want to…The local and regional hip-hop showcase takes place April 14 at Sly Grog Lounge.The experience of Failure is one that transports the audience, and will cause more than a few lumps in the throat as viewers are show something akin to a Sam…Sparrow Pants, Melissa Hyman, Ashley Heath and Cynthia McDermott take to The Mothlight stage April 12.
- Increasingly, U.S. colleges and universities are working to make their institutions as environmentally sustainable as possible. These efforts cover a broad spectrum, from a recycling initiative at Stanford University that diverts 65…The company rolled out its first beer in early March and is contract-brewing with BearWaters Brewing Co. in Canton while it looks for a brewery home.The Carolina Mountain Cheese Fest returns to Highland Brewing Co. Also, The Grey Eagle Taqueria hosts a beer pairing brunch, The Montford Rooftop Bar continues its Local Partner Brunch series,…
- Studies show that commercial cleaning products can be harmful to our health. Local house cleaners have switched to natural products as a result of their own adverse experiences using chemical…The fundraiser for the sustainable design nonprofit takes place April 14 at Lake Julian Park.
- New Belgium screens a documentary about disappearing snow seasons, the 90-Second Newbery Film Festival returns to Pack Library and more.
- On May 23, 1885, The Asheville Citizen posed the following question to its readers: “What are we to do with our dead?” At the time, the city lacked a public…Alyssa Sacora grows and cans much of her own food to increase the year-round quality of her diet and as an environmentally friendly strategy for long-term storage. She also does…While reducing the environmental impact of purchasing tools that member households may need only infrequently is a key goal for the Asheville Tool Library, the nonprofit has an even bigger…Nature-based schools are catching on around the country. The Woodson Branch Nature School, located in Hot Springs and Marshall, is a local manifestation of the trend, which emphasizes outdoor learning…Danu Macon plans to plant 1,000 fruit trees in Western North Carolina in 2018.Parents of students in Asheville City Schools pushed back against what they saw as a tepid response from district leaders after the Feb. 14 school shooting in Parkland, Fla., saying…Asheville GreenWorks, the Tree Commission and the city have joined forces to host a four-part workshop series on tree care this spring.In the fallout from the APD body camera leak, members of a work group that helped revise the APD’s use of force policy say they believe the policy has held…A federal indictment released on April 5 paints Wanda Greene as a person who loved to shop — especially when Buncombe County was picking up the tab.
- "For years now, Americans have engaged in culture wars, typically over gay rights, abortion, feminism, an imperiled Christianity, bathrooms and Confederate monuments, all perhaps as contrived as the 'winners,' usually…ASHEVILLE, NC"If Asheville wants to be serious about being progressive, about showing up for the members of our community and not just those passing through for the weekend, we need to…"I hope very much that the shirt I have been wearing almost daily to the soup kitchen is helping slow gentrification.""There is still time for bureaucratic bungling to derail these developments. I urge the leaders of our little kingdom not to stifle this impetus and dam the amazing flow of…