- If athletics and poetry seem like strange bedfellows, then you haven’t read Gabrielle Calvocoressi’s sports desk columns for The Best American Poetry blog. “Two days later it still feels awfully…Local musician and kirtan leader Luna Ray calls mantras — sacred syllables or groups of words — ancient science that allows people to open up. “It’s technology with which to…“A Chorus Line is a brilliantly complex fusion of dance, song and compellingly authentic drama,” reads a press release for the forthcoming Asheville Community Theatre production. Directed by Chanda Calentine…“I’m ecstatic to finally deliver [Say What You Will] into everyone’s most patient hands,” says folk Americana singer-songwriter Hope Griffin of her upcoming EP release party. Not one to rush…The photos for local sci-fi rock band Worldline, on the group’s website, all evoke the fantastical otherworldly environs of planetariums, film sets or well-conceived theme parties. Suspended orbs and strands…“This is the most anticipated show of the year. Our artists love it, we love it, and our clients love it!” says Betsey-Rose Weiss, owner of American Folk art gallery…“We were going to make Goldie its own entity,” says CaroMia Tiller, lead singer and keyboard player for local indie-soul act Goldie & The Screamers. “It didn’t work out that…It may be a closed industry event, but, having to do with books, booksellers and the publishing industry, ABA's Winter Institute is bringing a "powerhouse of authors" to Asheville —…
- Asheville has its cacao fortresses — the French Broad Chocolate Lounge, the Chocolate Fetish and Chocolate Gems — but our sweet town also harbors countless hidden chocolate sanctuaries.“I think we have consistently proven that our products don’t fit into either of those categories of being vegetable meat or being the substance that wants to taste like meat,”…I’ll be the first to admit that here on the beer pages the news is usually fun. To the extent that it intersects with business news, it’s generally about crazy-fast…The Hop rolls out Hopsicles, winter tailgate markets are underway, Asheville Art Musuem readies for Toast Asheville and a local garden shop and wine store partner for a unique happy…
- Our survey results about mind-body medicine show that 76 percent of respondents provide mind-body therapies. Respondents report a wide variety of mind-body therapies used in their practices. The most frequently…The world headquarters for ChiWalking/Running occupy a quaint two-story house adjacent to Interstate 240 in downtown Asheville. “People think we’re a $5 million or $10 million business. We’ve had people…After a traumatic car accident left her with nightmares and chronic pain, “Donna,” a 36-year-old Asheville mental health counselor, started taking medication to help her sleep. “I would try to go…You are getting sleepy … very sleepy. This Hollywood hypnosis cliché — complete with a swaying pocketwatch dangling in front of a paralyzed rube — couldn’t be further from the…A head-on motorcycle collision in Thailand sent Corey Costanzo, co-owner of Still Point Wellness, on an unexpected journey. “It was the middle of the night, and another motorcycle veered…When it comes to sleep, where we spend nearly one-third of our lives, many individuals in our culture are finding it more and more difficult to accrue the quality rest…In the health and wellness world, “mind-body connection” has become something of a buzzword. But in Chinese medicine, understanding the relationship between psychology and physiology is ancient — not trendy. Mary…Scientists now know that mind and body are inextricably linked, interacting in ways that can create either health or illness. In two back-to-back wellness issues, Xpress explores the art and…The Celebration Singers of Asheville have banded together for the fourth year in a row to send singing Valentine’s to unsuspecting lovers in the Asheville area.
- Where were Asheville’s “hot spots” for brick-and-mortar businesses in 2014? Despite ample buzz about growth in downtown’s South Slope, local development was surprisingly modest, according to an Xpress analysis of city data. A heat map…To gain perspective on one’s life, sometimes a look skyward into the inky nocturnal abyss is all it takes to realize just how small we really are. “Life is more…Sidewalks, housing, public data systems and leaf collect al popped up on Asheville City Council's all-day retreat Jan. 30.Asheville City Council members unveiled their 2015 strategic operating plan Jan. 30, collecting data on three focus areas: economic growth and sustainability, affordability and economic mobility and high quality of…As Asheville City Council heads into an important election year, a variety of new local projects are in the works that aim to increase civic engagement.
- Dealing with crime and vandalism is both frightening and annoying enough for a business, but dealing with it over… and over… and over again can make you think you are…I have been hearing about the Asheville “vortex” ever since moving here in 2011 but did not realize that the city is also host to a number of angelic beings.…It seems that a lot of Asheville residents have strong opinions as to what our city should be and the types of people who should live here. I cringe to…I have been reading more and more calls to make Asheville for locals, and it feels unnecessarily divisive. Who is a local? I moved here with my family in 1966…