- The newest effort by Burnsville-based novelist Alan Gratz deals with Persian-American teen Kamran’s whose brother, a suspected terrorist, communicates by means of a code drawn from stories he and Kamran…Food festival season is upon us, with Organicfest, BaconFest, MusicFest and CiderFest NC just around the corner. Plus, the French Broad Vignerons have named the best wines from the Asheville…The Center for Craft, Creativity and Design's Back to the Drawing Board series was developed to investigate how the craft object can move beyond a static wall display. The events…Talley's homecoming show will call upon the talents of bassist Bryan White and percussionist Bill Berg for a full band sound. The Grey Eagle hosts the celebration on Saturday, Aug.…In an effort to help support and raise awareness for the professional scene of which he’s an active member, Welsh has organized the inaugural Valley Music & Cook House Blues…Cypher Univercity was started in 2010 at North Carolina State University in Raleigh by MC Mike L!ve. The five year anniversary of the movement will be celebrated — along with…The two groups' collaborative album Global Symphony Project — recorded after receipt of a 2014 grant from the Chamber Music America Classical Commissioning Program — will be released during a…The Hatchett Creative Group will host CATCHING DREAMS, a bohemian styled fashion show, on Aug. 29 at the Masonic Temple.The Mantras open the show at Pisgah Brewing Co.'s outdoor stage on Saturday, Aug. 29, at 7 p.m.The annual Three Days of Light Gathering — now in its fourth year — takes much of what's great about summer festivals (camping, music, arts and craft vendors, nature) and…Open Hearts Art Center's forthcoming talent show features the visual and performance art of the nonprofit organization's members.
- Under state law, businesses that do not serve a certain amount of food are required to be members-only clubs. Local bar owners and bartenders say the law causes more problems…Whether it's fine dining, chocolate pairings, barbecue or curry, Catawba's new initiatives aim to show beer's versatility with food.
- A recent requirement from the N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is being met with accusations of “fowl play” from some chickeners who say the registry is part of…Dreams bring us need-to-know messages — coded in image, story, and wordplay — for the benefit of body and mind, soul and spirit.
- This week's roundup includes classes from Asheville School of Film and filmmaker Kevin Peer, an exhibition at the Biltmore Estate and a screening at the Black Mountain College Museum +…
- Unless you’ve just emerged from the wilderness after several decades, chances are you’ve heard some of the roiling discussions going on across the country concerning the current state of the…Figuring out ways to preserve, repair and enhance decades-old — or even century-old — water systems provides a flood of challenges for cities, towns and communities across North Carolina’s mountains.…The city of Asheville has announced its new chief sustainability officer. Amber Weaver, who previously served as energy and environmental project manager for the DeKalb County Government in Georgia and…
- Lately, it seems as if certain multi-lettered agencies are following the letter of the law, more than the spirit, when it comes to spirits, and particularly malt beverages in beer-soaked Asheville and surrounding…"We urge the members of the North Carolina congressional delegation to support the future of creativity, innovation and the economic benefits of the digital economy by making long-term fixes to…"What are they going to charge us for the pool pass next year since now this is all about a private corporation making money?""Does the [Duke Energy] Foothills Project have to destroy our priceless pristine mountain view in the process?""There are two ways I see that local government can effectively address affordability. The first is to drop parking-space requirements for city apartment developments.""Only [City Council candidate] LaVonda Payne seems to lack the kind of baggage that can stand up to further scrutiny."