- After a full career in law, Surrisi found that she had completed her middle grade mystery at precisely the right moment.“Country music in Asheville is becoming a thing now, and that’s awesome,” says Joe Lasher Jr. The Weaverville native got his start at 16 and now, at 19, splits his…The Florida-based band brings its tropical and exuberant live show to The Grey Eagle on Wednesday, March 9.The Asheville performing arts collective received playwright David Mamet's approval for a gender swap production less than 48 hours after contacting his publisher.Minorcan and Downtown Boys open for Sheer Mag at the Mothlight on Monday, March 7.The intended narrative within the drawing remains ambiguous to the viewer, and that’s the way Kreh Mellick wants it. “I’ve given you a small set of things to look at,…Asheville Creative Arts' humorous and modernized production revisits Aesop's fables with shows at The Magnetic Theatre from Friday to Sunday, March 4-6.Warren Wilson Theatre's Not Suitable for Children season continues with an end-of-the-universe tale at Kittredge Theatre on Thursday to Sunday, March 3-6.
- Western North Carolina brewers are adding peppers, flowers and other nature-based ingredients to their beers with exciting results.Haywood Road institution Mama's Fast Food has closed; Sour Fest returns to Thirsty Monk; ASAP holds its annual CSA fair; and the Riceville Volunteer Fire Department invites community members to…Members of Asheville's culinary community are collaborating to provide a Greek-themed feast to benefit OpenDoors of Asheville, a nonprofit focused on helping at-risk, underserved youths.
- Through the remedial practices and harmonizing of planetary influences, Vedic astrologers claim that we can bring ourselves back into harmony with nature and through that process realize the most fundamental…
- Asheville School of Film screens student films and offers new courses, North Asheville Library starts a Raymond Chandler series and a native Ashevillean starts a production studio.
- The history of Asheville's Jewish community is indistinguishable from the city's history. A new book takes a look at the economic and philanthropic contributions of Asheville's Jewish community.Besides weighing in on assorted candidates for public office, voters in the March 15 primaries will also have the chance to help decide whether North Carolina should issue $2 billion…If you want to bring home the bacon, first, you'll need to bring home the tools to succeed, say the organizers of the Bringing It Home conference. And that applies…To make way for the planned Beaucatcher Greenway, how many trees must be cut to preserve the forest? And does significant construction on steep sections make sense to begin with?…The Asheville Jewish Community Center's upcoming fundraiser supports a summer program for children on the autism spectrum. The event is at 5 Walnut on Saturday, March 5.
- "Vote for Gordon if you think a commissioner should believe transparency and fiscal responsibility are necessities, if you think that land conservation and farmland preservation are important, and if business…"Jasmine’s visionary leadership and ability to organize and deliver social change is why she has my vote.""Gordon wants to preserve, diversify and grow opportunities for our small, local, family- and minority-owned businesses.""Jasmine has my support because she is dedicated to working at the intersections of justice needed within our community.""I'm not sure she has convinced me of the architectural significance of the building, but she has convinced me that the solution she is proposing is worth discussing.""If you’re reading this, I hope you’ll search your soul to see if you can find there the commitment to help a young person. If not, please talk to your…"We could ensure the socially and environmentally sustainable mix of imaginatively postmodern and respectfully retro new building designs most Ashevilleans say they want — but only if we require it,…"If BB&T’s Las Vegas-like 'makeover' is irreversible, then shame on Asheville for failing to grasp a rare opportunity to positively reshape its core image."