- Will this Uncle Earl reunion bring new songs? “We’ll have rehearsal in Nashville before the tour starts … and it depends on how everyone feels,” fiddle player Rayna Gellert says.…Felice Bell was named the winner of the Xpress 2016 Indie 500 Flash Fiction Contest for her story, “Finding Astrid.” The story appears here in full.There’s a little bit of everything in Costume at the Turn of the Century, the largest display of costumes and costume design from the turn of this century. The original…Poetry-themed drinks and live music continue after the untamed variety show, which runs Sunday-Monday, Aug. 28-29.The Stand Against HB2 concert at The Orange Peel will be a marathon event featuring more than 15 N.C.-based performers.Willie Watson and Tellico start the inaugural event inside Pisgah's taproom on Friday, Aug. 26, before the remaining roots acts unfold inside and out, all day on Saturday, Aug. 27.Capone's EP release show is at Isis Restaurant and Music Hall's upstairs lounge on Friday, Aug. 26.Aloft Asheville Downtown's open air benefit concert series continues on Sunday, Aug., 28, when Juan Benavides Group performs in support of Friends of Connect Buncombe.The Orange Peel hosts the variety show on Thursday, Aug. 25.
- Three days of festivities followed by nearly a week of locals-only tours will mark the grand opening of New Belgium Brewing's Asheville facility and the company's 25th anniversary.As the cost of growing food in Western North Carolina rises, local farmers are feeling the squeeze. Increasingly, many are turning to agritourism to help their enterprises stay afloat.Noble Cider highlights pie to raise money for Make-A-Wish, a new Irish pub opens downtown, Buxton Hall Barbecue celebrates its first birthday, The Farm Kitchen hosts a wine dinner and…
- Running and CrossFitting are two popular ways Asheville residents stay fit. Advocates on both sides maintain their workout is the best, but both forms of fitness confer benefits.
- New Belgium’s Clips Beer and Film Tour stops at Pack Square Park, Sierra Nevada brings the Wild & Scenic Film Festival to its new outdoor amphitheater and Frank Thompson explores…
- The die is cast: a $74 million bond referendum will appear on Asheville voters' General Election ballots in November. What uses has the city proposed for the money and, if…Now a beloved local happening, the Southeastern Permaculture Gathering has taken place every year since 1994. Permaculture enthusiasts of many ages and experience levels gathered on the grounds of the…New downtown development specialist and Asheville native Dana Frankel took time from her busy schedule to speak with Xpress about growing up in the city, her role among downtown stakeholders,…
- "While parody has its place in artistic expression, making light of victimization is no laughing matter.""First, how are we viewing people who are incarcerated? Are they to be considered human beings with rights to evolve as anyone else, and, if so, is due consideration to…"'Progressive' Asheville doesn’t have a nudist resort? Seriously? Teddy Roosevelt (a skinny-dipping Republican) would today be arrested skinny-dipping in waters he helped preserve!""Unless we band together to fight the encroachment on the soul of Asheville, this will remain a place good folks will choose to only visit."