- The independent music curration company streams the music of nearly 2,000 independent artists, and its subscribers vote for their favorites. The album receiving the most votes at the end of…"We wanted to create a networking place for local musicians. A place for them to meet other musicians to play and jam and get together.”Musician's Worshop (originally Moritz Music) has been in business for nearly 50 years, while the new-on-the scene Bailey Acoustic Shop offers hand-built guitars and custom designs. Those are just two…“We all play,” says Paul Heumiller. “We’re not just workers who glue wood together. We know what [the guitars] are supposed to do, soundwise.”In 1916, British folklorist Cecil Sharp journeyed to the mountains of Madison County to document the area's unique ballads. His collection of these historic songs has helped usher the oral…Brevard Music Center hosts the annual gathering, which also offers art and food vendors, from Friday to Sunday, Sept. 9 to 11.There’s more than one way to put on a literary festival. Held around the world, they range in size and focus, some bringing in big-name authors while others draw regional…Bryce Monroe performs his one-man play on black American experiences at N.C. Stage Company Thursday to Saturday, Sept. 8-10.The Stump Mutts will perform new tunes from forthcoming album Dear Silence at The Orange Peel on Friday, Sept. 9. Posh Hammer and The Jellyrox open the show.Posehn, a comedian, actor, voice-over artist, writer and begrudging father, performs at The Grey Eagle on Thursday, Sept. 8.The band’s residency concludes with a concert in Lipinsky Auditorium on Thursday, Sept. 8.Blue Ghost Brewing Co., hosts a night of country music tribute performances to benefit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society on Sunday, Sept. 11.
- Increasing demand for locally raised meats has Western North Carolina farmers traveling long distances and sitting on waiting lists for regional slaughterhouse services. But is an Asheville-based slaughter facility feasible?Co-founder Jimi Rentz discusses the history of Asheville's first beer festival.Asheville's annual Goombay Festival offers learning and networking opportunities for culinary trainees.FRS Asheville's Whacked brings together local chefs, school food service directors and Green Opportunities Kitchen Ready trainees for an off-the-wall culinary contest; fermentation revivalist Sandor Katz offers food preservation workshops…
- The eighth annual West Asheville Garden Stroll offers the chance to peek into 15 of the neighborhood's most charming gardens on Sept. 10.Local human services and nonprofits offer a variety of programs that create social connection, health and vitality for Asheville's many retirees.
- The Carolina Cinemark presents a special Edward Snowden event, the Fine Arts plays the new Nick Cave concert film and Grail Moviehouse kicks off its Jewish Film Series.
- Emerald ash borers have been detected in WNC, and that's not good news for the region's forests.The Asheville Water Resources Department shared plans for a major improvement project at the city's 60-year-old North Fork Reservoir in four public meetings held Aug. 22-25. The $30 million to…While July was marked by a series of protests, rallies and demands for changes to the APD’s approach to policing in the city’s marginalized communities — especially its 11 public…
- "Next year's gathering will take place in Celo Aug. 4-6, 2017. Registration will open June 1.""Are these entrepreneurs operating within the law? Do they have the required permits, licenses and insurance? Are they collecting sales tax and properly declaring their added income? Are their kitchens…"Our recently launched Farm Heritage Trail is an innovative agritourism initiative that includes a year-round scenic farm trail, seasonal farm stops and an ongoing calendar of farm events including farm-to-table…'After extensive research and opportunities to meet the candidates, I‘ve selected Nancy Nehls Nelson as my candidate for Buncombe County District 2 commissioner for various reasons. '"With the completion of 420 apartments, 100 more apartments under construction and whispers of 600 to come, you might imagine that the combination of property speculators, city 'planning' staff and…"I joined the circle because parents of color have to worry about their kids encountering the wrong officer in a way my parents never did.""As a result of the insane amount of overbuilding in our city, the ridiculous effort to bring people here to boost the economy, there is an animal-versus-human problem on the…